MN Chickener

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by LadyVictorian, Dec 22, 2016.

1. LadyVictorian

LadyVictorian Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2016
    Minnesota
    Hi there, name is Chelsea but you can call me Vic. I am an artist/musician born and raised on a horse/hobby farm in MN. I have had chickens on and off for most of my childhood. Mixed breed bantam's back when I was 5 or 6 we raised for meat, a rescued polish hen named Somba when I was about 15 who ended up getting eaten by a neighbors run away stray dog, and my latest only about 2 years ago our Red Star hen who got nabbed by a coyote. (She was also a rescue). After not having my little talkative friendly hen for a while I have finally decided to buckle down, build a coop and get a small flock of hens, eventually. Don't have chicks yet but looking to get them in February/March. Already have everything set up for the chicks but still soaking up some chicken wisdom so I can best provide for them. I tend to lean more on the organic side of things with my animals as well.

I have also raised ducks and turkeys in the past though the turkeys in the past when I was little. Thinking of possibly getting ducks and quill in the future but I am going to tackle the chickens first before I go building more coops and paddocks. Interested in learning some get tips from organic chicken raisers and free rangers and which breeds work best. I know for sure I want to get one or two silkies mostly just for pets and maybe a Polish hen or two just for pets but the rest of the hens I am looking for egg production.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. You know silkies tend to be a very broody breed. When they are broody, you can put fertile eggs (of any breed) under them and they will hatch & raise them as their own. It's a great way to get other breeds without the need of a rooster.

3. LadyVictorian

LadyVictorian Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2016
    Minnesota
    I actually saw this with duck eggs so if I get the chickens all settled and my silkies start getting broody I might get a few fertilized duck eggs and sit them under her. That is also a reason I want to get them, other than being cute and sweet, they are also fun natural incubators.

4. johndeere36

johndeere36 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2012
    Northwest iowa
    Welcome

5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    WELCOME!!!!

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcomer to BYC - thanks for joining us. I wish you the best of luck with your chicken-keeping renaissance.
    Best wishes
    CT

7. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

8. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I've seen other members post about raising chickens organically, if you do a search on that, you'll probably find how they work that. You can also find your state thread by doing a search for the Minnesota state thread, sometimes it's helpful to chat with others more local to you.

Good luck with your plans, sounds like fun!

9. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC Chelsea! [​IMG] I am glad you joined us!

10. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hi there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am quite sure you will just love it here, so pull up a chair and make yourself at home here! Welcome to the family! :frow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by