MN Chickens

einflukerx

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 1, 2014
Hello, I just had to get rid of my rooster. I adopted 2 new hens. They are about 1 year and my current 2 are about 6 months. I still have them separated but with the coming cold nights is it better to put them together? They have seen each other and kind of argued and they were all pretty upset that night. That was on Sunday. Have they been separated long enough to let them sleep together starting Friday night? I raised my other 3 from chicks and they always got along really well so I just want to make everything as smooth as possible. I would appreciate any help.
Also, this winter is it safe to add a light to the coop?

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome, from a fellow Minnesotan! Your chickens will be fine. I don't even bother putting windows back in the coop until we have consistently freezing temps. Chickens do just fine in the cold, as long as their coop is well insulated and DRY. Too much humidity in your coop will cause frostbite, and at a much higher temp. than if your coop is well-ventilated. I think you could put them together, though, if you want to. They're close to the same size, right? If you can, make sure there is plenty of extra food and water for them. There will be some squabbles as they establish their pecking order, but as long as there is no blood shed, they will be fine.

Thank you! I put them all together and they get along great, the smallest is actually at the top of the pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom