Moaning Myrtle

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by froggie71, May 11, 2010.

1. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    We have 3 Pekin ducklings. They are 4 1/2 to 5 weeks old and they are huge! They are almost bigger than our Khaki campbell girls. Anyway I've had them free ranging with the adult ducks during the day with no problem. But haven't gotten them in the duck house yet for 2 reasons. First it's been getting pretty cold here. Down to the 30s at night. Also I want to put them in a seperated area to get the adults used to them, but where I usually do this there is currently 2 ducks nesting [​IMG]. So they remain in the brooder in the house with 1 BEI duckling and 6 chicks. I will here 1 of the Pekins making a moaning sound. I thought at first it could be a respiratory issue, but she doesn't do it when she is outside and she doesn't always do it when she is in the house. So I figure this is her way of saying the brooder is just too small and she can't take it any more. She finally has a name though and it is Moaning Myrtle. (from Harry Potter for those that may not know)

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  2. my1stchicks

my1stchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    North FL
    I love it!!! Great name!!!

3. froggie71

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Thanks! I think it's the perfect name. I think she'll be happy now too. I've decided today was the last day for them to be inside. I work nights and was trying to sleep, but those darn Pekins were so loud! So out they go for good!

4. my1stchicks

my1stchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    North FL
    Oh I'm sure they'll love it outside! [​IMG]

5. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

I work nights and was trying to sleep, but those darn Pekins were so loud! So out they go for good!

I hear'ya! [​IMG] I'm used to Scovies and we now have two Pekins and two Swedish. Boy, my pekin, Buttercup, is LOUD, putting it mildly. I thought something was wrong this a.m. as she was suddenly honking REALLY LOUDLY. Thought maybe a predator was after the ducks or some such...... NO..... she was just standing there trying to get the boys attention to what SHE was doing since they had been distracted as to what I was up to. [​IMG]

6. froggie71

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Good news this morning is that all three Pekins and the BEI I put outside yesterday for good had a great night! All is well in the duck house and it is much quieter in mine. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by