Mobile coop on a trailer design & build journal

TheFarmofDreams

Chirping
Jul 23, 2021
Watertown, NY
Hi! I'm starting a new build and thought I'd journal it as I went in order to get feedback & share for other people's inspiration, amusement and maybe even benefit! (Even if the benefit is mostly what *not* to do😂)

I just bought a little ATV trailer (4'x8') that is super easy to move and quite robust for a (planned) flock of about 12 birds (1 roo). I plan to pasture them in mobile netting, so I wanted a coop I could easily move about, but the more I looked at tractors, the less I liked them for a laying hen set up. (I plan to make a hoop coop for our meatie grow outs though; and to make the layers a "stall" in the barn for winter, we get deep, icy snow). I'm planning to build a coop tall enough to at least kneel (preferably stand) comfortably in, should I need to address any issues in there. and for when it needs swept out. And looking at the underside, I think I'll probably leave the existing solid floor. Then design some kind of an expansion on each side and the back to add the needed square footage. The expansions would be wire floored for easy cleaning. Egg access at the back, and a man door at the front. I'll add a kick stand at the corners to make sure it's stable when parked. I'm excited to start building it when my winter prep projects are done!

Pictures: (the sides come right out, so its a flat bed with insertable sides. I would remove the sides and expand from there i think)

Attachments

• IMG_20221030_181244762.jpg
    IMG_20221030_181244762.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20221030_181219460_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221030_181219460_HDR.jpg
    642.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20221030_181212652.jpg
    IMG_20221030_181212652.jpg
    836.7 KB · Views: 24
Welcome to BYC. If you put your general location into your profile people can give you better-targeted advice when climate matters. :)

This build is probably the best trailer coop I've seen on here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-small-street-legal-p.1361077/
That is a really cool build! We're going to be more livestock-oriented than pet, and they'll have a big chunk of land to explore during the day. So this will definitely just be their indoor living quarters. Other than square footage, my biggest concern, i think, is accessibility. Coops and tractors where you can't reach every corner always leave me wondering what you do when some hen needs attention and insists on hunkering down in the farthest corner. 😂

That is a really cool build! We're going to be more livestock-oriented than pet, and they'll have a big chunk of land to explore during the day. So this will definitely just be their indoor living quarters. Other than square footage, my biggest concern, i think, is accessibility. Coops and tractors where you can't reach every corner always leave me wondering what you do when some hen needs attention and insists on hunkering down in the farthest corner. 😂

Since you're in New York, here is a good article on cold weather chicken-keeping. :)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/

Since you're in New York, here is a good article on cold weather chicken-keeping. :)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/
I read that one!! Our birds will be inside once it gets cold. We've got a big old bank barn that stays warm (compared to outside, -30 anyways). They'll have a fixed coop there. That way none of the snow issues will be a concern, and water will freeze a lot less. This trailer coop will be no-snow only. And parked in the upstairs of the barn each winter.

Here's a quick mock-up of what I'm thinking... This particular version gives me at least 72 sq ft (not counting under nest boxes). (8'x10' on a 4x8 frame) And 20ft of roost. The sides and back, that aren't part of the original trailer will be wire floored and as light as possible. But even then, I think it may be too big and be tippy with my wheel base... so I'm currently leaning towards only extending by 1ft on the 3 sides... which would give me 18' of roost, and 48 sq ft (again not counting the foot of space under the nest boxes, and dimensions would be 6'x9' outside). I could make the side bits a bit taller, but I want the ceiling to change to prevent humans from walking on those bits and falling through 😅

Attachments

• chicken trailer coop.jpg
    chicken trailer coop.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 26
Rain ingress to coop from the "roof" of your extensions would be my concern.

Sloping to the outside with flashing along top edges probably your best approach.
good point. I didnt really give the roof of that bit much thought when I drew it. I've since been contemplating running the extension roof up to the beginning of the ventilation opening on the central area, with the top roof over hanging from above. Is something like this likely to work better, and more like what you meant?

Attachments

• coop 1.2.png
    coop 1.2.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 22
good point. I didnt really give the roof of that bit much thought when I drew it. I've since been contemplating running the extension roof up to the beginning of the ventilation opening on the central area, with the top roof over hanging from above. Is something like this likely to work better, and more like what you meant?

Have a look at the construction of the monitor on this coop: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-little-monitor-coop.76275/

With the wide overhangs relative to the height of the vents it's made it through several severe storms, including Hurricane Florence, without letting water into the interior.

Back
Top Bottom