1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mobile coop size

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by raecarrow, Jan 5, 2017.

1. raecarrow

raecarrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    I have a fixed foundation coop I built for our chickens but I'm finding that it doesn't work well with my current batch of birds. I have to tractor them during the day because they roam all over creation, bothering the neighbors and putting themselves in danger of coyotes. They also cannot be contained by a fence without a roof. With that in mind, I built them (currently 15 hens and 1 rooster) a 10' x 10' x 2' PVC pipe tractor that I move every day. But getting them into the tractor can be a bear, especially when the run is farther from the house. The run is currently 100' in front of the house and the chicken coop is behind the house. I had three hens (my most intractable, least people friendly ones) who refused to go to the tractor today. I was keeping it in the side yard, but it turned into a mud puddle with all the rain we've been getting and the field in front of the house is drier.

I fashioned my tractor after this design and have a tarp over half of it:
    [​IMG]

Yesterday a large gust took my tractor for a sail into the creek and set all the chickens free. So, besides weighing the tractor down, I am considering removing the tarp and adding a mobile coop that I can attach to the run so their coop is their sheltered space and I can keep them contained in the run and coop and be able to shut them up at night right there and not have to worry about luring them into the run every day. I was considering a design similar to Justin Rhodes' "chick-shaw" but lower to the ground.

I want a design that is easy to replicate because I am thinking I want multiple versions of this for pasturing different flocks (roosters for culling, momma birds with babies, breeding groups, etc). How large does a coop have to be for 15-20 birds if they have that much free room to roam during the day and only need to be shut up at night. I also would like to use this coop design if the Buff Orps I am getting can be contained by an electric poultry net.

Thanks,
    Rae

2. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I guess I'm not understanding your current set up. Is the fixed coop not attached to the run? Are you unable to keep your current chickens contained within electric net fencing?

3. raecarrow

raecarrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    The coop they are currently in at night is a 5x10 shed on posts which I have cemented in the ground. I lure them into the movable run, like the one pictured above, every morning with their feed. The problem is that the further the run is from the coop and the general vicinity of the main house, the harder it is to lure them from the coop to the run. Luring them back to the coop at night is a piece of cake. Even with wings clipped, our leghorn crosses can make a flight assisted hop of more than 6'. I don't see the point of getting electric fencing for these birds since they can fly so far. I'm considering getting electric fencing for our new batch of birds in the spring/summer. The Bff Orps are supposed to be less wild than the Leghorns.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by