Mobile Hatchery Project Idea

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by farmer_lew, Jan 17, 2011.

1. farmer_lew

farmer_lew Hi-Tech Redneck

Jun 29, 2010
    In the hills
    Ok, call me crazy, but I had an idea for a "mobile" hatchery. First, you'll need a cabover camper for your truck. Next, convrt the fridge/icebox into an incubator. Up in the front, where the bed goes, you put your brooder and a grow out pen. You can sit at the table and keep your records. Maybe take the stove out and put in a file cabinet to store those records.

I got this idea while remodeling a cabover camper we got for free on Craigslist. Planned to put it to the test, but decided to put the hatchery in the garage instead and use the camper as an extra room. But, I would like to work on this project at some point. I think it would be pretty awesome!

The icebox would be super easy to convert to an incubator, too. A light fixture (or two), a water heater thermostat, and a computer fan, and VOILA!...incubator. Oh, a window would need to be cut into the door and sealed over with plexiglass, also easy.

What do you guys think? Am I crazy, or what?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Yep... you're crazy.

But I like it! Sounds cool!

3. EMAW

EMAW Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Neat idea, it all sounds like it would work. I like the idea of recycling a camper shell and turning it into a self contained hatchery/brooder.

Now I have to ask why a mobile hatchery, is there a need in your area?

Good luck.

4. farmer_lew

Jun 29, 2010
    In the hills
    Thought maybe it would be neat to use it as an educational thing. You know, go to schools to show the kids what raising chickens is all about, things like that.

5. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Well that would solve the problem of hatching while on vacation! [​IMG]
    Wonder what I could do with this? Ok, it's 8' x 40'. How many chickens can I fit in here? I could pull the doors off those bottom compartments, cover them with hardware cloth and make breeding pens. DH is gonna love this idea! Thanks. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am just teasing you. I know a lot of people up here in Auburn have old trailers and campers on their property. Why not? BTW, tell your wife I saw the little Wellie chicks you guys passed on up at Kelly's. OMG so cute! She wouldn't give them to me!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2011
  6. farmer_lew

Jun 29, 2010
    In the hills
    My pleasure, Warden! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by