Mobile Heat Lamp with Deep Cycle Battery--Can It Be Done?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gatrapper, Jul 3, 2016.

1. gatrapper

gatrapper Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2015
    Hey Y'all,

I have a vacant coop that it 100 yards from the nearest power source. I want to use the coop to brood chicks, but I have to figure out a way to make a mobile heat source.

I have 2 deep cycle batteries. Is there a way that I could wire the heat lamps to the batteries? Would I need some type of capacitor to regulate the energy from the batteries so it doesn't burn up the lights?

Thanks

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I would think it would be easier to run either a long extension cord temporarily,or run a buried wire out there and put in an outlet and light.

3. gatrapper

gatrapper Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2015
    100 yards of extension cord would be too expensive.

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    If you can, burying wire in conduit, or whatever is legal where you live, is a one- time expense that will be worth it. We rented a trencher and dug it in ourselves, with proper hookups at each end. At least look into the possibilities before buying something else. Also, can your outbuilding be moved to a better location? We did that here also. Or brood in something else closer to the house. Mary

5. azjustin

azjustin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    A 100w 110v heat lamp would draw 8.3 amps at 12 volts continuously, not counting losses from your inverter.

A 250w 110v heat lamp would draw 20.8 amps at 12 volts continuously, not counting losses from your inverter.

A deep cycle battery (or any rechargeable battery) has the longest longevity if you don't run it lower than 80% capacity without charging. You can count on your hands how many times it will cycle to 20% or lower.

So, a 100 amp hour battery (CCA is for starting, AH is for deep cycle) can be run for a little less than 2.5 hours with a 100 watt bulb and a little less than one hour with a 250 watt bulb and be discharged to 80% capacity. Again, this is just ohms law and doesn't account for any inverter or wire losses. The bigger the battery, or more of them, and it will increase the time below a deep discharge. BUT, how are you going to recharge the batteries without grid power?

Long story short: sure, you can heat with batteries if you like buying batteries.

You could also super insulate a small enclosure and find a temperature regulated propane catalytic heater. Or, just get some conduit and run a line out to the coop, but that won't be cheap. Moving the coop might be easier?

We brood close to the house since the little ones can take a fair amount of attention, and I don't walk for a living.

Good luck.

6. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    These 100' cords are $13.41 at Walmart.... Extension Cord

You're still looking at $45 with tax, though, for three of them. You'd have a good bit of resistance in 300' of 16-gauge wire, but the incandescent bulb should still heat up...the extension cord might heat up a little bit, too.

As azjustin noted, the battery application just ain't gonna work.

Best wishes,
    Ed

7. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by