Mobile home frame about to become my new 50ft coop!Any sugg/thoughts?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pitbulls and chickens, Aug 3, 2011.

1. pitbulls and chickens

pitbulls and chickens Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2011
    Neighbors had a 10 x 50 mobile home chassis sitting in the woods and I never gave it a glance until I thought about how to build the base of my new coop! Its up off ground with steel girders for support and didnt cost anything. They were happy to get rid of it. My husband very reluctantly helped me drag it home behind our 33 yr old flatbed Ford with wheels rusted/frozen entire mile(grrr...) but its here!!So it seems like no brainer but everyone thinks Im nuts...Am I or did I hit a home run idea and has anyone else done this or any thoughts/ideas to share?! Luv some input.We live off grid on 50 acres in rural Northern New England, so zoning or neighbors complaining not an issue fortunately.Also cuz its not a habitable permanent(on wheels) dwelling, wont require building permit or be taxable!AND My 29 ladies and 4 roos will thank me for the much needed space..And after picking up rough cut lumber cheaply today, I hit another deal-5 4x4 windows for $50. for my grand coop! Was a great bargain week!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  2. breezy

breezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Coulee MT
    Very Cool! Cant wait to see pics when your done.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  3. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Yes, pictures please!

I've got a 12' X 61' 1970's mobile home I'm working on turning into a coop right now, need all the ideas I can get!

4. pitbulls and chickens

pitbulls and chickens Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2011
    Will def take lots pics and share as we progress! Have 12yr old and 17 yr old son helpers! Great family project and Im adding to my carpentry learn how! Im really excited and want it done yesterday but will prob take few weeks between farm job days and waitress by night. Free time is seemingly never but going to hit it hard to get my girls the space they so badly need right now. Have ideas but suggestions great too! Thank God for friends in chickens cuz everyone here thinks Ive lost it to try this project!LOL

5. clubby

clubby Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    Im realy looking forward to seen your mobile pics, when i mouved here 2 yrs ago there was a 50x10 in the garden and people said i shoulds get rid ,its a 3 bedroom /kitchen/sittingroom and a bit the worst for wear but the roof is solid ,i havnt changed it because of lack of funds but its ok ,its bright and airy ,xbatterys are in the sittingroom and the 2 orps are in 1 bedroom ,the kitchen is my potting shed .
    Id love to see others folks converted mobiles to maybe improve mine a bit , it dosnt cost anything to dream lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by