Mobile netting suggestions

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
I've recently been looking into purchasing a mobile poultry netting kit. I have a permanent run, but I would be nice to be able to easily pound in some posts, lay out the netting and have another area setup temporarily. In the summer months, there run is badly positioned in direct sunlight with no deep shade. I had to make a makeshift run for them under our huge Maple trees to provide them with shade during this heat wave. Though that run took all morning to setup, and they had all escaped by the time we got back from the lake anyway. 😂
Just something to keep them contained under the tree to provide some protection from areal predators would be nice. I don't necessarily need to light it up as they will go back in there secure coops at night, but something I can easily setup and will contain them is what I'm looking for.
Heres a few different setups I'm looking at-
NoShock Hen pen
Omlet Chicken fence
Premier Poultry Net Plus
I honestly like the looks of the Premier Poultry Net plus so far, just because the video makes it look so easy to setup. It is a bit pricey though, and given the fact that I don't need the electricity and I would have to pay extra for it is the downside.
The Omlet fence and NoShock seem nice as well, but look like they require pounding in posts, and then stringing the netting around them, which makes me think I'm gonna spend lots of time untangling it. With the others, you can simply pound in the posts with netting already attached. Tell me what you think, and additional brands/suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

I have the Poultry Net Plus, 48", 100' kit with the solar charger and I love it (though the solar charger has some drawbacks that need to be accounted for).

I know that I've got raccoons and the occasional stray dog to deal with here so this was a great option for me.

I have the Poultry Net Plus, 48", 100' kit with the solar charger and I love it (though the solar charger has some drawbacks that need to be accounted for).

I know that I've got raccoons and the occasional stray dog to deal with here so this was a great option for me.
Awesome, I'm definitely liking that one the best based on the advertisement. I'll probably just end up buying it despite the price lol! It would be a game changer, especially for planting my run and all the revamping I want to do soon.

Awesome, I'm definitely liking that one the best based on the advertisement. I'll probably just end up buying it despite the price lol! It would be a game changer, especially for planting my run and all the revamping I want to do soon.

The main thing with the solar charger is that even here in the south I have to bring it in to charge at least once a week during the short days. You can't use the plug outdoors or while running the fence.

You also have to keep the solar panel cleaned off. And the panel is heavy so it slowly tilts the charger forward -- which wouldn't be a problem if it were being moved regularly but is a problem with us keeping it always in the same place even though we morph the pen itself.

I also ended up buying some extra step-in posts at the farm store. The ones from Premier 1 are better, but these extras help me contour the fence over some uneven ground.

It couldn't be easier to setup. First time ever with electric fence but I had it up and running in less than half an hour the first time. Now I can re-set it in a different configuration in 10 minutes.-

The main thing with the solar charger is that even here in the south I have to bring it in to charge at least once a week during the short days. You can't use the plug outdoors or while running the fence.

You also have to keep the solar panel cleaned off. And the panel is heavy so it slowly tilts the charger forward -- which wouldn't be a problem if it were being moved regularly but is a problem with us keeping it always in the same place even though we morph the pen itself.

I also ended up buying some extra step-in posts at the farm store. The ones from Premier 1 are better, but these extras help me contour the fence over some uneven ground.

It couldn't be easier to setup. First time ever with electric fence but I had it up and running in less than half an hour the first time. Now I can re-set it in a different configuration in 10 minutes.-
It sounds like the best one for sure. I'll probably end up purchasing that one if anything haha. Pricey, but so worth it. Thanks for all your tips, I appreciate it!

I will second the Premier1 fence. I use a plug-in fence charger.
I also use some plastic fence that is very cheap on Amazon, it is for construction. It is easy to move and the chickens can not go through it. I use that with the temp plastic posts @ TSC. The posts are 1.99, can't beat that.
The bad guys think all fence here could zap them!

Back
Top Bottom