Modena and Fantail loft help

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by dainironfoot, Dec 16, 2011.

1. dainironfoot

dainironfoot Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2010
    woodburn, Oregon
    Hi guys! I am currently designing a loft to build this summer that will hopefully house Modenas and American fantails. I'm thinking it will be somewhere around 6'X8'. That would be just the actual "house" part, my question is this: how big of an attached outdoor "flight pen" do I need for these breeds. From what I've read neither are strong flyers right? I was thinking an additional 3'X8' flight area. Is this big enough? Should I have a big door for their access to it or just little 6 or 8 inch holes to crawl thrue to access the outside pen? I'm worried if they can't fly very well will they be able to reach the holes to get to the pen? And how many pairs do you think I could keep in that size of a loft? Thanx in advance for all the great help,

-Tony

2. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    How many pairs are you thinking of since you'll need about 2 sq feet for each bird.

3. dainironfoot

Mar 27, 2010
    woodburn, Oregon
    I was hoping to get 8 or 10 pair. Does this sound large enough?

4. cameron

cameron Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    You need to go bigger..much bigger those 16 to 20 birds will pair up and in a month you'll have 40 birds.

Build bigger or keep fewer pairs. Trust me.

5. dainironfoot

Mar 27, 2010
    woodburn, Oregon
    OK, I can go bigger. how big does the flight pen for Modenas need to be? Are they big on flying?
    Thanx

6. chseeads

chseeads Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Modenas can actually fly pretty good. They are not really "recreational fliers," so to speak.... They don't do very much flying around just for the sake of flying around, they fly from point A to point B to get where they want to go, but they fly just fine as far as that goes.

7. Night_Wolf_Lofts

Night_Wolf_Lofts Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    Modenas also need plenty of room as they are known to become aggressive. And also, depending on where they come from...some lines today don't like to raise their own young and can be cantankerous to deal with, but they are quite a unique breed. They are big and bully..but I have found some that are like puppy dogs. LOL

As most pigeon folk will tell you...GO BIGGER early int eh game because if not, you'll be doing it soon enough.

Justin
    Aquatic Wilds
    Night Wolf Lofts

8. larrylofts

larrylofts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    LOTT TX
    If You Realy Like The Modenas Try The German Modena Same Colors And Markings Only Smaller Bird People Say That They Raise Like Crazy The Modern Modena Or Show Tpye That You See Mostly Are Very Aggressive Toward Other Birds And Them Selfs And Have Some Breeding Problems And I Believe They Could Get Along With Other Birds Better

9. sport14692

sport14692 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    Carencro, La
    The best way to raise Modenas is in individual breeding cages, this eliminates all the aggressiveness and it is much easier to control. Some people have had success open loft breeding them but most of the successful breeders around here including myself go with the individual breeding cage way. I also raise American and Indian fantails and have no problem with these breeds in an open loft enviroment

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  10. dainironfoot

Mar 27, 2010
    woodburn, Oregon
    wow, thanx for the great advice! how big are your individual breeding cages?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by