Moderating Feed.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by rmonge00, Jun 8, 2011.

1. rmonge00

rmonge00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello,

I have been giving my chickens free access to as much feed as they want. They also have access to 2 acres of grass and woods all day, every day. The grass is now going to seed and although its not wheat or anything, they have been eating the grass seed and it seems like it should make up a lot of their diet if you include dandelion greens and bugs. Should I start limiting their food everyday? Will this encourage them to get more adventuruos and move further away from the coop? What do you guys think?

Ryan

2. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Tha is a personal preference but I would continue to give them free access to the feed and they will eat less since they are eating the grass, greens and bugs. You could restrict it during the day so that they focus more on the greens but I personally don't see any need to control what they eat. This way they will get the right cobination since eating only grass, they would be difficient in nutrients but still be okay.

3. jmagill

jmagill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Wyoming
    My aunt had a huge flock that free ranged all day and only got fed in late afternoon.(winter was different)
    It worked great for her.

4. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    I would leave it out for them, mine bolt out the door in the morning to get to the scratch grains I put out and mosey around the grass and dig around the trees. But as they come into lay some grab a bite and some filter in during the day,when they come in a night its usually a free-for-all. They will range further and further as they can't find what they are looking for in the area they have already searched and scratched.

5. rmonge00

bump

6. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    I keep feed available 24/7 and they free range all day but still have access to feed. So far, sone have popped from eating too much.

7. rmonge00

I am not worrying about feeding too much, I was trying to save some money on feed and was wondering if they would be able to maintain growth if I took away their food during the day and left them to free range....

Ryan

8. jmagill

jmagill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Wyoming
    Quote:Are these meat chickens? If they are you should have feed out.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  9. rmonge00

They are standard heavy breeds, although I do plan on slaughtering the roosters...

10. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    Some people only feed once or twice a day even if they don't free range. I'm just lazy and leave the feed out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by