Modern Game Bantams--Cold Hardiness

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cjvdub, Jan 20, 2010.

1. cjvdub

cjvdub Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2009
    Framingham
    I went to the Northeast Poultry Congress hoping to buy some hens. My girlfriend came with and really loved the modern game bantams. Well, I didn't get any hens, but we came home with a pair of modern games. I've had chickens my whole life, but never these little games. I heard they aren't real cold hardy, but don't know what that means.

They're supposed to live in our approximately 5'x5' insulated coop (there is also an enclosed attached run). I have an light fixture wired into it that I can put a heat lamp on, but haven't needed it with the chickens I currently have.

The coop currently has a mix of banties and large fowl, 1 silkie, 1 showgirl, & 2 light brahma cross pullets. So my question is will the body heat plus the insulation be enough for them in Eastern Massachusetts (the coldest we ever get is maybe -5)?

We are usually in the teens and twenties at night now. Will they typically handle that, or will they need extra heat? Right now they are in the house, until I can get them acclimated to the other chickens, but that will need to end soon.

Thanks,

corey

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    I live in upstatw NY where temps of -20f are not uncommon. Modern Game Bantams do fine here.

3. cjvdub

cjvdub Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2009
    Framingham
    Thanks, that makes things a lot easier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by