Modern Game Bantams, wanting to learn more

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rarebreedeggs4u, Nov 13, 2010.

1. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    We bought our first Modern Game Bantams last weekend from Ken Conaway of MO, at the Fayetteville, AR show. I saw this Red Pyle trio and HAD to have them. He seemed surprised when I asked if they were Red Pyles~LOL Just in a week of them being here, I already love them and so does my daughter. They have calmed down SO quickly and have just charmed us. They are spring 2010 hatch and were laying until recently.

Currently I have them in the barn in a wire cage, but have the wire floor covered and have them on shavings. They are on the same feed as our other birds, 50 % Game Bird Starter and equal amounts of crimped oats, chopped corn & beet pulp (averages about 21% protein). Our other birds are doing beautifully on this. I wanted to make sure it's OK for them and the new OEGB's we bought too.

Any advice, help, critiques would be very welcome [​IMG]

In these pictures they had just arrived home and were temporarily housed in a too short brooder box. The hens' neck feathers are worn off. it looks like the had been leaning over and into a feeder.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    those are gorgeous... also, the first time i seen modern game bantams i was rolling in laughter... they are like OEGB but on stilks... LOL...

the bald spots on the feathers... isn't that a sign of mites...? or maybe they used the feeder outside the chicken wire..? or maybe it would get chased around by the other hens and would stick their heads out of the chicken wire... i seen that before at feed stores...

gorgeous birds though...

3. rarebreedeggs4u

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    Thanks Gumbii. I haven't seen any signs of mites on them, but you never know. They are on a preventative round of Corid right now, since they are new to the farm and spent all day on the ground at a show...yuck~LOL Once they have 5 days of that, I'll deworm then with Ivermectrin, which should get anything inside and out if I change their bedding the same day. I need to get new pics. The roo can stand up straight and tall now that they are in a taller cage [​IMG]

4. wing it

wing it Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    long island
    I have few modern games great birds[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  5. rarebreedeggs4u

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    [​IMG] How pretty!!

6. rilly10

rilly10 Clover Field Farm

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    Love them! I wouldn't mind a pair or trio in splash or self blue. They look like little models. [​IMG]

7. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Sounds like what you are feeding them is great. I feed mine the game bird grower and I've been tossing some dog kibble to them a couple times a day. My rooster's feathers have really started to shine! You will become attached to the little hens quickly. Watch out for the rooster, though. They can be mean. My roo loves to flog the back of my leg when I least expect it. He isn't big enough to hurt a fly, though. lol
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by