Modern Game Chick

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LaurenM23, Sep 23, 2010.

1. LaurenM23

LaurenM23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    King George, VA
    Alright, peeps! I offer for your opinions a 3-4 Week Old Modern Game chick. At 2 weeks old, the feathering was very advanced, leading me to think female, yet the new development in the comb makes me think male. The pinkness of the comb is not as visible to the eye, but is very clear on camera. Not being familiar with this breed AT ALL, I'm not sure what the norm is for this stage in development. Either way, the chick is lovely and calm, very talkative and personable...not at all aggressive or dominant of it's brooder-buddy. Thank you so much, in advance, for any help you can offer!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rilly10

rilly10 Clover Field Farm

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    SO cute!!! Where did you get it? I have been looking for some! Is it a splash?

As for the sex..with the comb color I want to say little roo but I am sure someone mor farmiliar with the breed will come help!

3. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    I'd say it's a little roo. I have a splash MGB pullet and her comb was very small until right before she started laying. Sometimes the hens don't even get that much comb ever.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Definite cockerel. Is it Lavender? It looks it, but I've never heard of any game in Lavender.

5. rilly10

rilly10 Clover Field Farm

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    Pretty pullet Juliechick! [​IMG] Where did you get her?

6. Chickens in the Grove

Chickens in the Grove Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2010
    Oregon
    I'm no expert, so forgive me if I'm way off, but it looks like a very handsome roo!

7. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I duunno but Gorgeous .She look's like A Runway Model with those leg's.Maybe even some Asil gene with that leg length.I'm sayin SHE the top pic look's like hen to me.I Have just OEGB game and all of my girl's have a little prominent comb also. Nice color on you bird though Love it.

8. V Comb

V Comb Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice big ol'e comb. Definitely a boy.

9. LaurenM23

Jun 16, 2010
    King George, VA
    I got the chick from a BYCer in MD. I had a really bad experience with a hatch and needed a buddy for a lone chick. This chick is the most laid back and friendly thing! We couldn't be happier. The lovely lady introduced us to the flock, which all had this color. She handed me her roo, which I could have cuddled he was so calm! I wasn't sure what to call he color; blue, gray, lavender? Its precious, whatever it is! The two chicks are BFFs, even if an unlikely pair!

10. LaurenM23

Jun 16, 2010
    King George, VA
    Alright, so we'll assume the chick is a little roo. I had a feeling. I just loooooove him though! We named "her" Crystal, as we got her on our 3rd wedding anniversary and the "Modern" gift is crystal. So we we really have us a Crys (Chris)! The hubby will just love that. If I already have a BR roo, will I need to rehome this guy? The BR seems very laid back and treats his ladies very kindly and is not at all agressive, but he has no challengers, either.

The breeder had no issues with the Games mixing in with larger birds, in terms of fighting, but my flock is small right now. We have the one BR roo, two BR pullets, and one Australorp pullet (all at 16 weeks today) and a 3 week old SPPR (likely pullet) with this one. I have plans to hatch more SPPRs in the future.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by