Modern game cock and hen introduced to my chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kelebek1977, Apr 16, 2016.

1. kelebek1977

kelebek1977 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2014
    Hi,

I've just bought a modern game pair (cock & hen) about a year old. I have two other chickens, one an ex battery and the other a cross breed hen. My ex battery immediately got her back up and started to attack the cock. He is much smaller than her (sits in the palm of my hand) but gave as good as he got. My other hen also had a go at him and I had to pull her back.
    The modern hen just stayed out of the way and the others didnt bother with her. Is it normal for hens to fight cocks? Is it just the breeds and size??

Do I let them get on with it or separate them?

Thanks in advance.

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    It is normal.Chickens will fight strangers (Stranger chickens).You can let them in the pen.Roosters are tough and usually can last much longer in fights,but these fights can be very brutal.So you can watch them fight,and if things get outta control,break it up.

Size does matter in the pecking order.Condition,strength,temperment all has a matter of where a chicken stands in the pecking order.gender also does.Most generally any rooster once brave enough (if it ever happens to get brave enough),is at the top of the order 9before hens anyways.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by