Modern Marvels: The Egg 2011

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Mattemma, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Just got this DVD through library interloan,and wanted to mention it. While it does not cover backyard farming it is still interesting. I am amazed at the amount of hens that are kept in a factory barn.I think it was 1.5 MILLION. WOW that is a lot of chickens.

I liked the set up of the one man in CA who would move his hens around after the ground was seriously pooped up.Pooped ground was planted.Crops and eggs sold in a co-op. His eggs sell for $8 a dozen! I only sold mine for $1.50 or $2.

The purple eggs(pickled) look interesting.It was a beet vinegar mixture that hard boiled eggs were put in. I would like to make that. The black egg however I will skip.Those are raw eggs that are fermented for a month. No thank you.

The ostrich eggs were very cool. I liked the farmer in that segment.Funny guy. And finally the egg carver.Wow what awesome work he does.If I had money I would like the dolphin one on the emu egg,and the ones that have shapes carved into them(stars,hearts,circles).

Overall an interesting dvd.

I noticed that a lot of the chicken farmers clip the beaks.Even the ones who do free range.So I have been wondering at what number of chickens does it become necessary? They all said that it was to prevent pecking damage. I have had that in just 6-8 hens.Maybe the difference is that when you have hundreds you just don't have the ability to tend to the injured,so debeaking is easier?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  2. Johndeere96

Johndeere96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Nh
    Sounds interesting I'll have to look into it [​IMG]

3. spacecowgirl

spacecowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Just tried to find it on Netflix but they don't have it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by