Modified Dog House for Coop?

aclee

Songster
9 Years
Feb 16, 2010
Amesbury, MA
I'm researching coops for about 4 chickens...I wouldn't dare have more than that, and we don't really have the space for a huge coop. Has anyone modified a dog house as a chicken coop? I would love to see pictures. We would also give them a run that was partially covered. Mainly want the coop to be small and cozy so they can sleep and for nest boxes.

Thanks!

My first coop was a designed following the framing of a large dog house. 36"x4'x4'. The entry was on the narrow end to get the eggs from the nests which ran all along the rear 18" from floor with a lip on the ledge to keep bedding and eggs in place. There were two poop doors one in front to allow free ranging and one on the side opposite the entry door to allow birds into the garden in fall and through spring. Worked very well for my first RIR's. It was insulated (which was unnecessary) and shingled on top and all sides.

Good Luck.

I don't have the actual dog house yet, so I could buy either a wood one, or an igloo plastic one. I know we could build the run with no problems, and modify an existing dog house to add roosts and nest boxes, but I'm not sure we could do the whole thing from scratch. I would love to find a small prefab that doesn't cost hundreds of dollars just to ship it to me, never mind buying it! I've been looking everywhere for a small prefab coop, but had the idea that modifying a dog house might be a more economical option.

I did search, and I didn't really find many pictures of modified dog houses in this section, so thanks for the picture of that one
smile.png

I think you can do a search for "igloo" and find some on here. I have 3 igloos repurposed for chickens. They are amazingly roomy inside-- I have had probably a dozen chickens try to all sleep in one and thought they were all cozy and tucked in for bed. (I have to explain to them that they need to space out better) You just have to buy some heavy plywood and cut a door shape for it. I painted the doors so they look nice. Hinges drill right in to the plastic with a hand drill. 2 of mine have strong metal grate stuff in the door like prison windows. Opening downwards, so it doubles as a ramp. Get it up on wheels so it is mobile. I have the doors fitted with latches, an advantage is that your "coop" will be totally predator proof at night. No wood means you can disinfect it well. I bed them down with lots of hay. This is an easy, couple hour project. I even bought the hardware from the discount bin at Home Depot, and spent very little money. Hope that helps!

Quote:
When I search for igloo in this category of the forum, I only get this thread...do you have pictures of your coops? Thanks
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom