modified incubator from still air to circulated? can you DO that???

KattyKillFish

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 8, 2009
Dillingham, Alaska
is that okay to do? will it effect the hatching rate and/or temp/humidity?
i just got a still air incubator. it has a wafer thermostat and all the such. i rigged a computer fan into it that will be on during the whole incubation process, but i will possibly turn it off for the hatch. i covered a few of the ventilation holes because i think with the fan on it would loose too much heat.

comments? corrections? advice?

please, your feedback will be appreciated!
big_smile.png

also, is it okay to keep button quail and chicken eggs in the same incubator at the same time?

Last edited:
Hi! I saw no one was answering your question! (mine either) so I thought I would tell you about my experience with a foam incubator. My husband put a fan on it and it works great! I am actually afraid to use my still air that I have, because I tried to used it as a hatcher and it had WAY too much humidity!
As far as the button quail and chicken ... I have hatched peacock eggs and gamble eggs in the same incubator, but I hand turned them because I did not have a turner for the peacock eggs. I have also hatched bantam and full size together, and quniea with chicken and pheasant eggs. I even brooded them together!(not the peacock and quail) I hope this help some!
frow.gif

Patty

Quote:
You do not have to turn the fan off.
You do not have to cover the holes.
you might need to cover the holes or open them to help control humidity..

I have run goose/turkey/chicken and guinea and button quail in just about every combination you can come up with.. Oh, and duck, too.

You just have to do some careful planning so you are not removing chicks during the critical last 3 days of other eggs incubation..

I did this with my LG Styrobator. I installed a recycled computer fan, and ran it 24/7 inside the incubator. I did have to open or close the vent hold to control the humidity however. Humidity levels are greatly affected by just the slightest little thing in small incubators, so you have to watch it closely.

Quote:
they already added the fan. I am guessing they bought the bator second hand because the new LG have the solid state thermostat.

and the LG fan kit is about $39.95

IMO It is not much of a fan for that price.

Quote:
i'm not sure what brand, it's a big clunky round metal incubator that weighs like 10 lbs. i am positive that the guy who gave it to me made it himself.

and thank you guys so much for helping me out!
big_smile.png
wish my luck!

Quote:
i'm not sure what brand, it's a big clunky round metal incubator that weighs like 10 lbs. i am positive that the guy who gave it to me made it himself.

and thank you guys so much for helping me out!
big_smile.png
wish my luck!

There were at least two companies who made those galvanized incubators.. Brower and Jamesway.. Sears and Roebuck sold round ones also, but I do not know who made theirs..andI think Montgomery Wards also sold them..

they last forever..

here is the top
P3080032.jpg

inside
P3080033.jpg

and the fan i put in there. it isn't connected to the thermostat, i have it rigged to an old 9volt telephone battery charger/adapter and it is plugged in to the wall. i tested it to be sure the adapter doesn't overheat. i hope that isn't too iffy.
P3080034.jpg

i have no idea what kind it is, but i tested it and it works.

Last edited:
Quote:
like I said, they last forever.

You did right by not wiring the fan through the thermostat.. you want the fan to run continuously..

I would have to go dig mine out of the garage , but it is not exactly the same under the hood.. mine is a jamesway..

that hole used to have a piece of cloudy plastic in it.. you can tape a piece of clear plastic or glass over it..

then you can read your hygrometer and thermometer through it..

I tried to fit a LG egg turner into min but it didn't fit in.. I heard that you could buy a turner for it, but I wouldn't know where to look..

jamesway moved to canada and maybe brower might have one..

Back
Top Bottom