Modified purina coop or a walk-in coop...That is the question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by HippieChick76, Apr 9, 2012.

1. HippieChick76

HippieChick76 Blossom Backyard Farm

Apr 5, 2012
    Missouri
    Hello all! I posted a few days ago about my excitement of planning our first coop. The plan went from buying a coop to building a modified purina coop. I've been looking at coop pictures to get ideas and now have found myself trying to decide if we should move forward with the modified purina coop or change our plans to be a walk-in coop. I like the idea of being able to have part of the structure be storage for our chicken supplies, but I am willing to walk around the house to the garage if needed.

Elevated coop or walk-in...for those who have struggled with the same question ~ is there one that is a better choice? I would love to know what swayed you to make the decision you did.

I would like whatever coop we decide on to be easy to clean out and have plenty of room for our chickens.

2. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    For how many chickens? If it's only a few, some of the elevated designs that can fully open up seem pretty easy to clean without bending over. But if you have more than like six or so chickens, I'd think a walk in would be easier.

We're working on a walk-in where there is a waist high stand tray under the roost, so we can easily deal with poop, for instance.

3. HippieChick76

HippieChick76 Blossom Backyard Farm

Apr 5, 2012
    Missouri
    Right now we have seventeen chicks, but only four will be able to stay in our backyard due to zoning. The rest will be living at my in-law's farm. My children plan on showing the ones we keep at home. That is also a totally new adventure for this city living mama, lol!

The only reason I'm considering a walk-in is so I can screen off part of it by the door for storage. I am just trying to make caring for the chickens as easy as possible. It seems like having all the supplies under one roof might make it a bit easier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by