Modified Purina Coop Roosts?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Dahlisgrams, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Dahlisgrams

Dahlisgrams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2012
    The Big Apple
    We're building a 4x8 modified Purina coop in the grow out pen and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for roosting pole placement. There are two doors. One is on the left side of the front of the coop, next to 4 nesting boxes located on the right. The right side has another large door. The left side of the coop has a large slider window with a chicken door centered below. It's about 18" off the ground. There will be a few ventilation vents on the back wall as well.

The Purina plans suggest staggered height roosting poles in a ladder set up. I'd like to be able to put a screen divider down the center to be able to use it for two different age groups when necessary but otherwise it will remain in use for a single group.

Has anyone done this? If so, what did you do for the roosts? It's almost to the point of finishing up the roof and then the sheathing will go on so I'm hoping to get this figured out today. I'd be very appreciative of any suggestions. I'd like to avoid redoing it if at all possible.

Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I built the purina coop. The chickens all crowded on the top roosting bar. I added another bar at the same height, they all moved to the top level.

More chickens moved in from the adjacent coop and were roosting on the perch in front of the nesting boxes making mess of the nests. It seemed that none wanted to roost on any of the lower levels of the ladder. I added another roost at the same top level as the others and blocked off the nests at night.

This gives them about 12 linear feet of roost at the same level. The upper level is about 3 feet from the floor. They appear to simply hop up there to roost.

I am hoping that they all will roost on the top level bars and move away from the nests.

Chris

3. Dahlisgrams

Dahlisgrams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2012
    The Big Apple
    That's what I feared... Having them all crowd onto the top roosts and ignoring the lower ones. The nesting boxes are being finished now leaving just the roost installation and a paint job and once that's completely dry we can move the chicks in. They're fully feathered and ready to go.

I think I'll run five roosting poles across the coop from front to back and install them fairly high which will leave lots of floor space. That way I'll be able to easily divide the coop in half with a chicken wire/wood panel if it's ever necessary. I'll post photos when it's finished. I'd get some now but it's raining and about to begin snowing.

Thanks, Chris! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by