Modifying an incubator for better viewing

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Audio51, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Audio51

Audio51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2012
    Paradise, California
    I have a Farm Innovators incubator with a circulating fan that I have used a bout 4 times with pretty good success (70-80% hatch rate). It has only 2 small viewing windows to observe the hatch and I am wondering about modifying it to have a window the size on the entire top. Has anyone done anything like that? I assume I would use Plexiglas, but don't know of it needs to be a certain thickness or any other info about materials to use. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! [​IMG]

2. rayray983

rayray983 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    cushman arkansas
    ive never done this but if i were to do it i would do a double pain of plexi glass to help improve insulation kinda the same process for a double pain window just a thought i use a lg forced air and im gathering supplies to make a fridge incubator and i plan on doing viewing window in door and will be making up a plexi glass sandwich for the viewing window im going to cut plexi glass to size spray a layerer of foaming insulation around the edge then place the second piece of plexi glass on to make sandwich then cut the excess away when dry should make for extra insulation thus more stable temps

3. Audio51

Audio51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2012
    Paradise, California
    Thanks Rayray983. That sounds like a definite benefit. I would have to have holes to attach the fan, thermometer/hygrometer and heating element. I would also need ventilation holes. So I will have to think thru if the dual-pane would work. If not I may just have to use thicker Plexiglas.

4. rayray983

rayray983 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    cushman arkansas
    Okay in that case a thicker plexiglass would be your best bet

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by