Modifying pre-fab coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by callen0912, Feb 10, 2015.

1. callen0912

callen0912 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2015
    Has anyone here done this? I'm considering buying a pre-fab coop and modifying to add to it as well as make it better predator proof. I thought I had a coop lined up but haven't been able get ahold of the friend who said they would sell it to me [​IMG] and I'm running out of time. I won't lie I'm pretty intimidated by building a coop from scratch and would feel a lot better if I had something to build onto.

2. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    From what I've seen, most of those pre-fab coops are total junk. They always seem to overstate how many birds the "coops" can handle. And the construction is pathetic. I would buy a pre-made shed (Lowes, HomeDepot), or even one of those big doghouses (Depending on how many chickens you have). Might save a bunch of heartburn later.

3. callen0912

Jan 31, 2015
    I was considering getting this coop, and completely closing in the run so the entire thing becomes the coop and then adding an adequately sizes run. Still a bad idea?

http://www.wayfair.com/Aosom-LLC-La...d-Roof-and-Nesting-Box-5663-1319-XAO1103.html

4. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Reading the comments for the structure, you see the word flimsy mentioned a few times. Take heed. Outside, in the elements, flimsy is not what you want for long term stability. And, looking at the measurements, you will have a not quite 3X7' building. Not very big at all for the $$$. I wouldn't, I just build what I need. Maybe you could get an old shed off Craigslist, or out of the newspaper, or one of those Swapper type magazines you find in convenience stores. Something a bit heavier duty, that won't blow across you yard with one thunderstorm.

5. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

As has been suggested, consider a dog house (for example, check out places like Wayfare) for your coop and place this in your run made from a dog run.

As others have suggested, many of the pre-fab coops seem to be quite flimsy...also much smaller and holding fewer chickens than they claim they can.

Gail

6. Curlyginger

Curlyginger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2014
    Massachusetts
    I bought my coop from a local guy who makes them (he's about 90 minutes from my house) and I built the run from scratch. The quality is of the coop is really good and it wasn't too much $$. Where are you located?

7. callen0912

Jan 31, 2015
    In Cleveland, Georgia. There used to be an individual that my local feed store actually had him build them coops they would sell (my best friend has one) but the guy disappeared and they haven't been able to get ahold of him again.

8. Curlyginger

Curlyginger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2014
    Massachusetts
  9. callen0912

Jan 31, 2015
  10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The coop you linked only weighs 97lbs. That tells me that wood is pretty darn thin and I'd think the whole thing is likely to blow over in a wind. The design isn't bad, but I'd be looking on CL or somewhere else local to have someone build you out of actual lumber, that's sturdy enough to last a few years.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by