Modifying the "Backyard Homestead" Chicken coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Xenia's Chickens, May 21, 2010.

1. Xenia's Chickens

Xenia's Chickens Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    I have purchased the "Backyard Homestead" Chicken coop plans from ChickenDIYguides.com and I am looking for ideas on how to modify the coop. [​IMG], the one labeled "Large Coops")

1. I want to place the coop up against the wall of my barn. Can I change the roof so that it runs straight down from the barn, rather than having a peak? If so, what would be an appropriate pitch? Can I put the vent (on the back wall in the plans) somewhere else, or substitute an attic vent?
    2. I have 2 used skylights - can I install them in the roof? or use them instead of the windows in the front of the coop?
    3. I don't see any insulation in the plans. I live in New England and I've been told that I need insulation to reduce moisture inside the coop in winter. What would you recommend?
    4. If insulation is used, I assume I need an interior covering. What do you recommend?

Thanks for your help

2. Marie1234

Marie1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    I'll take #4
    I love love love the white bathroom fake tile that comes in 4x8 sheets. It really isn't very expensive or hard to install and so easy to clean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by