Modifying TSC Coop - Nest box size?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tjcib, Mar 28, 2017.

1. tjcib

tjcib Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2017
    I bought one of the coops from TSC that will be too small for my 6 Australorp girls. Oh well, rookie mistake...

So now I am doing some renovations...I have two huge 4'x8' PVC panels (1.5" thick). I am going to craft nesting boxes out of those and use the coops built in nesting space for additional room (get it up to about 18 sq.ft...which I know is bare minimum).

I believe two nesting boxes would be sufficient for 6 hens. The attach point is a weird shape, so I'm wondering about height for the next box:

Any issues with a 12" H x 13" W x 12" D box? I notice most retail boxes have a slanted top. Any advantage to that?

It will also have a lip on the entrance about three inches high to keep it separate from the shaving on the Coop floor.

Am I missing any considerations? Of course it will hav an access panel, probably the roof on hinges.

Other thoughts?

2. Happy Quack

Happy Quack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2016
    Gunnison Colorado
    You may want to consider a new coop.
    . I use to work at tsc and got one really cheap. It barley made it one year. I had bought it as transition coop for young chickens.

3. tjcib

tjcib Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2017
    A new one is in the realm of possibility.

I actually thought about building one under our deck (about 5 feet of head space) but $$$$

4. PapaBear4

PapaBear4 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2014
    Maryland
    Quote: Holy moly! That's some heavy duty material. That would make for a very overbuilt nestbox. PVC also tends to degrade in the sun.

Quote: That's a good size, yes. They're often slanted to keep hens from sitting and pooping on top of the nest boxes.

Quote: That will also keep eggs from rolling out of the box.

Quote: No, I think you've covered it all for the nest boxes themselves. I'm still not sure that 1.5" PVC is the right material for the job though. The only other thing I can think to mention is to try to make sure that the roost bar is higher than the nest boxes.

Let us know how it works out!

5. tjcib

tjcib Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2017

Talking with my wife I think we have decided just to build a new coop from scratch. I am going to use that thick PVC as the floor because I think it will clean really well and not be absorbent. As you said it might also keep it out of the sun and last longer.

I appreciate you mentioning the roost bars being higher than the nest boxes. I never thought about that. That certainly is helpful

6. PraiseGod

PraiseGod Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2017
    Heart in Jerusalem
    If you build the nest box entrence flush with the wall then you don't need to build a slanted top one. And it gives more room inside the coop.

7. PapaBear4

PapaBear4 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2014
    Maryland
    Happy to be of value! If you have other questions about things specific to your setup you're welcome to PM me.

8. PraiseGod

PraiseGod Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2017
    Heart in Jerusalem
    One more random point, though you may already know, a poop board at least 2' wide with a lip filled with horse stall freshener is a must have. It's amazing how well it absorbs ammonia and easier to clean than cat litter. I prefer granulated.

9. tjcib

tjcib Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2017

Yes, was planning on mounting it on the outside.

I still haven't decided what the roost setup will be, but the poop board will play a role in that. Thanks for the tip.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by