Moel still a baby at 26 weeks.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by pgpoultry, Oct 4, 2011.

1. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    This is probably the last pic. I will take of Moel my now 26 week old feather-mutation Blue Partridge Brahma.

She has gained more feathers on her chest and a few on her neck, but her body is still covered by down. The wing feathers remain up-turned and non-functional .She sleeps on the floor, but so do quite a few of my other Brahmas. She cannot fly.

She looks smaller than her hatch mates and her face is not reddening. I don't know if she will ever lay, but none of my other Brahmas from this hatch look near to laying yet.

I think she will be OK in the winter as she has body covering, but the downy stuff may not be as good an insulator as proper feathers. I have knitted her a chicken jacket just in case.

In all other ways she seems happy and healthy with an excellent appetite.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  2. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    Awww, she's so cute [​IMG]

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Look at that! Why will this be her last photo? I want to see her wearing her knitted winter jacket.

4. pgpoultry

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Oh I've made it sound as though she is going to lose her head!

I only meant that her feather number is stable...she does not seem to be getting any new adult feathers. Her little jumper if fluffy and pink.....she will look fairly silly in it.

Just because you have the odd extra toe, misshapen spine, a missing comb (belongs to the little girl with four and a half toes), or the odd few feathers missing doesn't mean that you get turned into stew at my place.....just labelled 'different.' [​IMG]

5. Lynndaybrown

Lynndaybrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Maryland
    You MUST post a photo of her in her sweater, I'd love to see it.
    She's so lucky to have you to take care of her.

6. pgpoultry

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Here is the little woolly......I need to sew some buttons on.

The top has the neck hole and the main part fits over the body with the wings and tail free.

[​IMG]

Some folk may tell me to 'get a life'........but I don't really care.

7. angie3881

angie3881 Chillin' With My Peeps

I think your life is awesome and I love the chicken sweater!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by