Mohawk chicken?

SInce everyone is in agreement that it is an Appenzeller Spitzhauben then my two cents will have been spent for not so instead I have a question for ESofVA if that is not inappropriate? What is it about the Spitzhauben that makes them your favorite breed ? My wife's family is from Switzerland and we wanted to raise birds from their homeland so a few years ago we tried some Spitzhauben chicks. They were beautiful and we were so excited but they seemed weak from the beginning and before they were 3 months old they all became ill in one form or another and then they were gone. We raised a variety of other chicks from the same hatchery with them and they were all thrifty and grew along nicely. To say the least we were dis-appointed but we haven't given up on the idea . Where did you get yours and were they thrifty as youngsters ?

I've had our Spitzhauben since late august and just love it. Not sure the gender yet. Got it from Meyer Hatchery and have had really good luck with them. Very friendly and I love the spikey feathers. I also have production reds, Cochins, Ameracaunas, and Dominiques and the Spitzhauben is my favorite

Back
Top Bottom