Moisture problem!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by StaatsFarms, Oct 13, 2009.

1. StaatsFarms

StaatsFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Nebraska
    the last 2 mornings I have noticed a little moisture on the windows of the coop... I have and 12x12 attic vent in the ceiling that I was gonna close off now that its getting colder but I think I am gonna leave it open through the winter... Is this a good idea??? I also have 2 24x24 windows one on the south side and the other on the east side... should I leave one of them slightly open to help with the moisture??? i have attached a picture to kinda show my setup but you can't really see the attic vent... it is on the back side in the middle near the ridge

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Time to cut a bit more ventilation [​IMG]

You can leave one of those windows open a bit *now* for ventilation, but will probably not want to be doing it much in say January. And your remaining one square foot of ventilation (which yes, you will want to leave open overnight, except possibly in really exceptional weather with obvious problems developing with your chickens) is probably not going to be enough for six (?) chickens.

Unless it'd be right over or next to the roost, the most logical place for ventilation openings would be atop the wall that is shared with the run. The run roof, and any plastic you wrap around any of the run sides, will shelter the vents from direct wind and blowing snow. If that is not a feasible location for vents, the top of the S-facing wall would be your second best bet, with the vents being as high as possible and fairly narrow (maybe 6-8" high) so they will be protected somewhat by the roof overhang.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. StaatsFarms

StaatsFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Nebraska
    thanks Pat!!! adding ventilation is gonna be tough!!! I have fully insulated the inside and finished it off so I'd have to cut through the interior wall, pull out the insulation, and cut throught the exterior wall to add another vent... would putting a outfacing vent fan over the attic vent help with the moisture... that would not be a problem as I have run electricity to the coop for a light, switch, and two outlets... one of which I placed at the top of the coop in the ceiling just in case I needed a ventilation fan out the roof

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Ah. Well, this is why I put so much energy into trying to talk people into creating *ample* ventilation in the initial construction of the coop [​IMG]

That is not really that much work, though, if you think about it... you just have to cut through two surfaces instead of only one. And you only have to do the job the *once* (assuming you do enough of it of course!) and then you will be set for life [​IMG]

would putting a outfacing vent fan over the attic vent help with the moisture

Not very well. Mainly because you would still need a second vent for air to come IN to replace the air pulled out by the fan (you can have air going both directions through a single opening when it's passive ventilation, but when you've got a fan on an opening, air is only going the one direction). And if you're going to be putting more openings in the coop then you don't NEED a fan. (which is just another extra purchase-and-replacement expense, running expense, maintenance headache, and mild fire hazard... possibly worthwhile in some specific situations but NOT in yours)

Good luck, have fun, be glad you're figuring this out now and not in worse weather <g>,

Pat​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by