1. SouthernBYChickens

SouthernBYChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Alabama
    I've noticed that in the pen where the chickens are spilling some of their feed on the ground, some mold is appearing. So, there are some places in the pen on the ground where there is some light mold. Could this be bad for the chickens if they are only walking across it and not eating straight from it. I move the feeder around every few days. Should I till those parts under with my garden tiller? Thanks for your input!

2. opalwednesday

opalwednesday Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Ridgecrest
    If the mold ends up in their lungs it could cause problems, I lost one like that. I treated my flock with oxine to cure the lung funk. Also I think in general, moldy food is very very bad so whatever you can to to eliminate it would be advised. Good luck, chickens are so messy!

3. Tinka

Tinka Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2012
    New Market, TN
    Mold only grows where there is dampness. Make sure the feed you are giving them is not damp. The area the mold is growing in sounds like it is damp enough to start that mold growing also. What I would do is scrape off the surface mold and get rid of it and then turn the soil over and add sand to the mixture so the ground moisture evaporates faster. Hope this helps.

4. SouthernBYChickens

SouthernBYChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Alabama
    I think the problem was that the feed that was laying on the ground got wet from a few days of rain we had. Where I feed them is also mostly in the shade, so I think it best that I move their feeding to the part of the pen that is in the sun always. I just thought they would enjoy the shade, but it may not be the best for them. Going to take care of the mold this afternoon. Thanks for your input!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by