mold danger?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Kellerina, Jun 12, 2008.

  1. Kellerina

    Kellerina New Egg

    9
    0
    7
    May 8, 2008
    My weekend project is to powerspray the mold off from under the soffit overhang of the house. (Does that make sense?) Concern is that it will all be washed into the yard where my hens are. We all know that any puddle of water is much more appealing than their clean water container. So could this be dangerous for them to drink. Can I dilute the mold enough that it wouldn't be a problem? Any thoughts or suggestions? Was also considering spraying bleach mixture up there but have the same concerns.
     
  2. GallowayFarms

    GallowayFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

    148
    2
    111
    May 19, 2008
    I would leave your hens locked in a run till the ground dries. I am sure your hens have sampled things many times worse than mold/moss that is growing on your house if they are free range. But since you are thinking of using bleach better to be safe. Whenever you use chemicals, even if labled safe for animals, it is better to not to introduce them to the animals if you can help it.

    Good luck and happy cleaning.

    Nick
     
  3. tvtaber

    tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

    350
    2
    141
    Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    I would concur with the above poster, better safe than sorry. Not using bleach, IMHO, would make the whole process less effective. It is amazing how effective a small amount of bleach in water is at not only removing mold but keeping it from coming back (if you don't rinse). Birds are so sensitive to these things, though, that you should probably pen them up for a few hours, till the water drains.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by