Mold growing in my homemade cabinet incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Double S Ranch, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Double S Ranch

Double S Ranch New Egg

Dec 9, 2010
    Hi, I am new to this forum and have searched the archieves about mold growing in an incubator and have not found a solution to the problem. So here is my question, I have mold growing on the bottom front door as well as the bottom of the incubator, I run 2 fans, top and bottom, and my RH is always around 60%, it seems that the mold is only growing where the fan does not hit the wall directly as I have no mold on the back or on the top, my incubator dimentions are 4'H X 18"W X 2'D made of 3/4 plywood, I run tap water which is very hard and high in calcium. Any advice! Thank you

2. Psak9Sports

Psak9Sports Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2010
    Annapolis, Maryland
    I would def make sure you kill the mold before incubating, bleach25/water75 works great for this. If you can, reposition your fans so that they blow air over the effected area. Also, you can try to lower your humidty a tad bit, just by increasing external ventilation holes.

Justin

3. Psak9Sports

Psak9Sports Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2010
    Annapolis, Maryland
    Also, If your plywood is not coated with anything, try to coat it with something that will stop it from absorbing the water (humidity).

4. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Is your plywood sealed? If not, it needs to be painted with a mold inhibitor primer and paint. BEFORE you paint, spray all surfaces with a vinegar/ water solution. Half and half is fine, 25/75, whatever. Allow to air dry. Vinegar is really better against mold than bleach. Bleach becomes inert when it dries, vinegar remains active each time it is dampened by humidity.

Best of luck and Happy Hatching,
    Jenny

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Yes Disinfecting after every hatch is paramount, seems like you missed a spot.

AL

6. Double S Ranch

Double S Ranch New Egg

Dec 9, 2010
    Thank you for the advice, I should have known better and sealed the plywood, unfortunatly I have 180 eggs in it now that are ready to hatch these next 2 weeks, I will transfer the eggs to my old incubator and fix this one.

thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by