Mold in coop

chickenchichi

In the Brooder
May 15, 2016
McDonough, GA
We've had a couple of rainy days lately and this morning I noticed mold growing near the edges of the coop. The coop is rainproof for the most part, but the water still splashes in from outside a bit. We removed (hopefully) all the mold that we found today, but is there a way to keep the grossness from sprouting up again in the future? Also, what sort of health impact does mold have on chickens, particularly chicks from a month to two months old?

Thanks!

i applied 3 coats of waterproof finish for my coop and run.. i did not notice any mold as of yet.. i'll keep an eye out for it

scrubbing the mold off and recoat the area ?

not sure if you can move the coop. but move it somewhere else where it will not be exposed to water?

Last edited:
i applied 3 coats of waterproof finish for my coop and run.. i did not notice any mold as of yet.. i'll keep an eye out for it

scrubbing the mold off and recoat the area ? 

not sure if you can move the coop. but move it somewhere else where it will not be exposed to water?

Our coop is set up in a corner of our house where it gets excellent predator protection and ample sunlight throughout the day. The roof is slanted so that water goes into a gutter and away from the coop, but due to the heavy rains a lot splashed inside through the wire sides. I'm thinking of maybe running a short maybe 1-2 foot wall on the wire side to keep that from happening in the future, but it's honestly only a problem when it rains hard like it has been the past few days.

I suspect a ventilation issue, perhaps, and/or lack of sunlight to help dry it out. Could either of those be the case?

The coop is very open and well ventilated despite being built into the corner of a brick house. I think with the general cloudiness and rain from the past few days, the mold took its opportunity to grow

Back
Top Bottom