Mold in my water with ACV?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by In2Ice, Jan 29, 2012.

  1. In2Ice

    In2Ice Chillin' With My Peeps

    Jan 5, 2012
    I noticed mold growing in my water jug that I keep in the house for my daughter to fill the chicks water container with. I keep a 1 gallon container on my counter and I add a tablespoon of Braggs ACV. and keep it ready for her to refill. Has anyone else had mold grow in their waterers when using ACV? I'm kinda concerned now about putting it in my big automatic waterer with the nipples if it will grow mold. What are your thoughts?
  2. berniezahm

    berniezahm Chillin' With My Peeps

    Oct 24, 2008
    I would be a little concerned myself. ACV is supposed to cure problems not create them.
  3. Ole rooster

    Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

    Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I too use the Braggs, but as of yet haven't had a mold problem. I put my gallon waterer out in the pen.When I mix it I use it. That may make a difference.
  4. Chemguy

    Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

    May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    There are lots of molds out there, and some of them consume acetic acid (vinegar) as a nutrient, or at least do better in an acidic solution, like vinegar. I wouldn't use that jug to fill your waterer, or the waterer will start to host the mold too. There is a great way to kill molds....borax. If you can't teplace the jug, then wash it thoroughly with a borax solution. Keep an eye on your waterer, you might need to wash it, too.
  5. BoltonChicken

    BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

    Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Last summer I got a mold in my 5 gallon outside waterer after about four months of use. I simply cleaned it out, added fresh water and Braggs and have had no problems since. I am blaming that mold on the summer heat, but who knows.
  6. In2Ice

    In2Ice Chillin' With My Peeps

    Jan 5, 2012
    I can see that happening in the hwat but the jug was on my kitchen counter. I live in Arizona so algae in waterers isn't uncommon but I was told ACV would prevent algae growth. What I saw was definitely mold- it was black circular spots about the size of a dime. Thanks for the input...I will keep an eye on the jugs. Hopefully something foreign got in there
  7. BellevueOmlet

    BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

    Jul 10, 2010
    If you use a 5 gallon bucket with a lid on it that you always keep on tight, it will keep the mold from going and need a lot less cleaning and filling.
  8. demerson

    demerson Out Of The Brooder

    Dec 3, 2011
    Otego NY
    It won't take much for mold to start ... do you boil the water and jug it hot?.... that might kill any spores that may have gotten in there .... also I know that when we have a fungal problem when starting seedlings we mix a bit of peroxide and water and mist the pots/soil and it destroys the mold/fungus .... maybe a little peroxide( very little) in the jug would prevent any mold growth.
  9. RedDrgn

    RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

    May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    ACV isn't sterile nor is it a sterilizer. It'll prevent SOME mold/bacteria from growing and slow the growth of SOME mold/bacteria, but it will also have NO effect at all on others. Absolutely nothing prevents the need to physically scrub down perpetually damp/wet surfaces with soap and water, especially when left at room temperature or above. You need to clean your moldy jug out weekly, at a minimum, ACV or not.

    Also, depending on the type of mold (and if you see mold growing, you can bet there is bacterial growth as well), it can make your chickens sick.
    2 people like this.
  10. starchicky

    starchicky Chillin' With My Peeps

    Sep 14, 2013
    I ended up with the same problem with my outside bucket/nipple waterer like the one pictured above. I will try it again after cleaning it and make sure the lid is tight. I was using acv, and I think the lid might have been loose.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by