Mold In The Bathroom... Added Pictures on Page 2


11 Years
Sep 23, 2008
Monroe, Ga
I think I have a problem bigger than I thought.

This morning while using the bathroom I noticed along the floor board white mold. I took a closer look and you can see about a 2 inch thick and 12 inch long dark area. The mold covering some of the area. This isnt a furry mold either..

I have a large garden tub and a shower in there. I put the babes in the tub with like little hotwheels and small metal tractors. Well the other day I realized they put a small crack in it. Its above the water line but I still think water can get back there and cause problems. My SO says hell just caulk it but I think the whole tub needs replacing. At the base of the tub the clear caulk has mostly peeled off and is constantly getting a dark red/black stain (which Im guessing is some form of mold..).

We are always often getting a dirt kind of smell coming from our cabinets. On the side by the tub you can see where the water has bowed the side of the wood (which is some kind of cheap wood the builders installed.. You know that kind that gets wet and furry like...). There is also a few blue spots in the damaged area.

I think we have a bigger problem then my SO thinks we do. Im wanting to rip out the tub and the linoleum to make sure that the mold isnt going into the floors building up behind the empty areas behind that tub and in our walls.

I dont want to get in there and do $1000s worth of damage to see if we have mold problems and it turns out we dont.
Is there a way I can check for it in places?
Does HO insurance cover mold?
What can I do with the mold I see now?
Last edited:
i can't answer all your questions but I do know that mold can be very hazardous to your health! I can't tell you rip everything up but if you're seeing mold that thick etc, I think it's probably worse where the problem has generated from. You need a mask, and you can (i believe) clean what is visible with bleach or something equally as strong but ultimately I believe you will need to replace everything touching it. And the sooner the better, chances are it's in more places that you think/can see. Hope that helps some!
Thanks. Before I even saw this I worried a lot about it. Its always kind of damp in there..

My son (2 years old) has had a runny nose for a few weeks Ive started one up myself and Im wondering if it isnt the mold. Ive given him different kinds of medications but nothing seems to work.. It could be the weather or ragweed though..

Since the floorboard its touching isnt that big and wouldnt be much to replace I think I should remove it today (with a hammer and flat head screwdriver?
) to see if its going down the wall. Then I think I could cut and peel back some flooring..
Last edited:
sorry for more bad news but
water is also a necessary requirement for termites.

that dirt smell, or old house smell, is mold. Various types bloom various colors.

when I flooded the bathroom - the only original cabinet in the house - we drilled and jigsawed peek holes in the particle board base to suck up the water with the shop vac and dried it out with towels, fans, etc. then covered it with scrap thin plywood until we get around to replacing it. Another IKEA project...

Our homeowners insurance company requires a special rider for mold damage not directly related to a covered claim. It is cheaper for us to rip everything apart and fix it ourselves or even hire out the drywall replacement and plumber than pay that.
With my horrendous allergy (if I can smell it, it's too late, I will go into anaphylactic shock, pass out, etc) we tend to catch things early now. I'm the canary, the mold detector...
maybe a dehumidifier would help. I would start with what you can see and move forward from there. Ive had 2 bathroom floods in 3 years, now i actually have a hole in the floor from rotted pressed board. But my bathroom is set up that the floor is probably only 4 x 4 and wont take much to replace.
Last edited:
The wall is just very soft down by the baseboard. I took a flat head screw driver and tapped my hand on the end of it and it gave way like cheese cake. Ive done a bit of damage to the paint (which is peeling off to a brown background which isnt caused by mold)
The baseboard is cracked in many places. When I push the screwdriver backwards the board bowes but wont come off. The wall behind it is like puddy. Im afraid to keep going..
BLEACH, BLEACH, BLEACH!!! kills it real good, had a battle with black mold! That is dangerous, bleach killed it and it hasn't come back. I would install a fan or get a dehumidifier. Being in Florida we battle it and it can make you sick!!!

Now for the soft wall, you have hidden water damage. maybe a leak. that's how ours started!! I would plan on replacing it and finding the source!!!! You need to pop that baseboard off! Take a hammer and use the backside and pry it off. You need to remove that soft wall, mold will spread and devour the whole thing. Are there pipes behind that wall?
Last edited:
If you see black mold, kill it! IMMEDIATELY!!! Try to rid the room of humidity, scrape that mold away, and bleach it. Then bleach it again. And then one more time, to be on the safe side. I don't mess around with mold.
We are so strapped for cash right now.
Im kinda scared to start this huge expensive project. ..But I dont want this spreading and making it more expensive and us sicker either..

So should I tear out that board?
Do I need to get rid of the tub since its got a inch dent with a crack in it?

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom