mold in the coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by KensingtonHens, Dec 28, 2010.

1. KensingtonHens

KensingtonHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2010
    SoCal
    With all the rain we've had it seems to have made a perfect breeding ground for black mold in my coop. [​IMG] I washed it out with vinegar and water and am letting it air dry. There isn't much sun this time of year in that part of the yard and I can't move the coop! What else can I do to beat it back and keep it clean and dry in there? We are in San Diego near the coast.

I rinsed and washed with bleach and now am drying it with a light and fresh air. I found some sealer-primer in the garage and am going to paint as soon as it dries. The mold is on the ceiling, walls and floor of the little hutch. It's about 2 ft tall, and 4 foot square. 18' off the ground with a solid pine floor. I think the paint will help. What about the hens going in tonight and the paint smell/fumes? It is a water based sealer.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  2. knjinnm

knjinnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
    Add more ventilation openings near the top.
    Joe

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Chickens like all birds have very sensitive respiratory systems. I would not put chickens back inside until the paint has completely dried and there is no remaining paint odor whatsoever. Can you keep them in the garage, etc. while the coop dries?

I suspect the root of your problem is that your coop is insufficiently ventilated. Chickens produce a lot of moisture from their own breathing, plus any droppings that accumulate add moisture, too. A good rule of thumb is to build 1 square foot of vent per chicken, preferably up at the top of one or more walls so that the vents can stay open even in colder weather without resulting in drafts blowing over the birds as they roost. However, if your coop is only 2 feet tall (is that right?) it will be tricky to accomplish this, but you could put narrow vents the width of the wall at the top of all four walls, then lower your roost as far as you can.

How many chickens do you have in this coop?

4. KensingtonHens

KensingtonHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Quote:We have two hens. A red star and a EE. I can keep them in the garage in the dog crate. It's tall enough for them to stand in and for one night they'll be ok. Or keep them in their run in the dog crate. We have slots along all four of the seams of the coop box. and the top is somewhat open (warped ply wood) but I will get more. I tried to tell my husband about needing more vent and he disagreed about it!! The box is almost dry, using a light bulb in a trouble light cage. And we have about 2 hours of day light to go. should I cover the floor with tarp? instead of paint? THen put wood shavings on that? Along with their nest boxes.
    [​IMG]

update: cleaned and dried and painted the walls. Put in clean, dry bedding and food (in the coop to keep it dry, raining again!) My husband is going to get out the hand saw and open the coop on the front and raise the roof. just waiting for the weekend. Thank you all for the help!!

dee

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by