Mold in water?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nuttyredhead, Jun 19, 2010.

1. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    So i moved my chicks into the big house 2 weeks ago. I fill the water up 1-2 times a week as needed with ACV. The weather just got really hot where i would need to fill it more. I noticed the other day that there were little black/grey spots on the plasctic bucket i use. (2 gallon). Any thoughts??? Maybe Im not using enough acv?

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I get those in my rubber Fortex water bowls for the chickens, and it is just a build up of saliva, food muck ickyness in it. Just bleach it out, rinse it well and ready to go! Sometimes I would find snail ick trails on the rim of the water bowl. [​IMG]

As it gets hotter, best to scrub every other day so it would not get ickyness in it.

3. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    At this time of year in the south, it's blazing hot all day and well into the night. I have to dump both my 3 gallon waterers DAILY and clean out the waterer thoroughly. The heat makes any bacteria or the food they drop in it (and bedding) turn rancid fast. Even with ACV or a bit of bleach in water. Also gives them some relief from the hotter water that's been there all day due to outside temps. Mine are staying pretty clean now with this but by the end of the day the water feels like it's been filled with hot so I dump and refill with cold water and they all come running to tank up.
    Hope this helps!

4. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Quote:You can use bleach to clean?? I assume if you rinse well with hot water it would be ok?

Thanks for the info [​IMG]

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yes they did fine! Just make sure you rise the bleach out well. I've used cold water but hot water if it is very very stubborn.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by