mold in waterers

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by fc, Jan 14, 2011.

  1. fc

    fc Out Of The Brooder

    91
    1
    41
    Sep 24, 2010
    I use well water. There are spots of mold in the waterers. What do you think- swish with clorox/water mix, then rinse?
     
  2. BankerJohn

    BankerJohn Chillin' With My Peeps

    265
    2
    121
    Apr 2, 2010
    Lecanto, Florida
    Quote:A little clorox never hurt no chicken! I do believe you should get as much of the slime out by wiping it down with a bleach solution. THen, when you refill, consider a small amount of vinegar in the water to keep the slimey's away.
     
  3. fc

    fc Out Of The Brooder

    91
    1
    41
    Sep 24, 2010
    Thanks for the response. I use vinegar about half the time, but the acid level is probably not high enough to kill the mold. Also, funny how algae just shows up! I'll plan to use a bit of bleach for cleanup.
     
  4. Judy

    Judy Moderator Staff Member

    34,028
    453
    448
    Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I put a drop or two of bleach in the waterer with my well water. Controls algae but does not eliminate it. Then scrub the waterer with bleach on a wet sponge every week or so, when it gets yucky. I have also found organic ACV helps a little but not much.
     
  5. kuntrygirl

    kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

    22,035
    619
    448
    Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:A little clorox never hurt no chicken! I do believe you should get as much of the slime out by wiping it down with a bleach solution. THen, when you refill, consider a small amount of vinegar in the water to keep the slimey's away.

    So vingear works pretty good?
     
  6. ranchhand

    ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

    13,295
    18
    291
    Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:A little clorox never hurt no chicken! I do believe you should get as much of the slime out by wiping it down with a bleach solution. THen, when you refill, consider a small amount of vinegar in the water to keep the slimey's away.

    So vingear works pretty good?

    Only if the waterer is plastic! Vinegar will eat through galvanized metal waterers.
     
  7. BankerJohn

    BankerJohn Chillin' With My Peeps

    265
    2
    121
    Apr 2, 2010
    Lecanto, Florida
    vinegar work on plastic watering systems only. Mine is 5 gallon bucket, PVC pipe and Nipple Waterers so the vinegar works fine. If you have metal watering cans, vinegar will erode the metal and ruin the galvanization. If you have metal watering systems, consider bleach. You can use bleach on the plastic systems too. I alternate between bleach and vinegar - not by design but just out of convenience.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  8. kuntrygirl

    kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

    22,035
    619
    448
    Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:So vingear works pretty good?

    Only if the waterer is plastic! Vinegar will eat through galvanized metal waterers.

    Ok. Great. Thanks for the info. Side note - Does vinegar benefit chickens at all? What would be a small amount of vinegar per gallon waterer?
     
  9. Talihofarms

    Talihofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

    320
    1
    103
    Dec 4, 2010
    Another thing you may look at is a water test.
    Once a year we pour a gallon of bleach down into our well.
    In our area it is recomended. We don't drink the water for the first 24 hours.
    We collect rain water and time our well shock .

    In the summer here, we clean our waters out every week. ( Mold likes warm water).
    Rotate a dry, cleaned waterer.
    Fill them up the dirty waterer
    with water, and add some bleach over night.
    Dump and let dry . Use the next week...

    This way our birds are not ingesting any treated water.


    just my.02
     
  10. peopleRanimals2

    peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

    654
    85
    121
    Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    I have chicks and have small black mold spots in my ACV waterer. I put 1 teaspoon of ACV per gallon of water, and in the base and jug part of the waterer there is mold. I am afraid to give the chicks water in it, but i can't deny them water either. Please help!![​IMG]
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by