Mold Nearly killed me - be careful with mold - SORRY LONG

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    I am writeing this because I see some one asking about de-humidifiers.
    NEVER USE A OLD/USED AND UNCARED FOR MACHINE.
    When I emptyed nasty water from ours a slurry of all kinds of nast molds&bacteria must have fill the air.
    You can never worry to much about MOLD.. When dealing with the situation do it with care.

THIS IS KIND OF LONG BUT I THOUGHT IT MAY HELP SOME PEOPLE.

None of you would have any idea that Mold almost killed me. It knocked me on my A** for a long time,
    It ran us into debt that took years to get out of and It took me 5 more years to recover as fully as I ever will.
    I was raised a Strong Farmers Daughter, Mentally/Physically fit with this saying always in my head a Dollar Saved is a Dollar earned
    and thats how I got into trouble.
    It all Began one spring When-
    We bought a new humidifier for the next winter, hubby wanted to try it out so filled it with water and let it run.
    later that day we unplug-ed it and I told hubby I would find a place to store it. Well between being busy and just plain for getting I did not do it,
    I guess after a few days he just shoved it into his closet, That fall when we needed it I found it and it was still filled with water.
    The water was rank & Its was really moldy, My first thought was to shove it out the door then I heard in my head "A dollar saved is a dollar earned"
    I took it into the bath room and proceeded to dump it in the tub and clean it out with bleach, after a while I realized I could not safely use it with the kids because of all the workings & tubes that really could not be sanitized and I threw it out the back door cleaned the bath room and called my best friend and told her what I did she Yelled at me and told me how stupid I was and that if I was sick in about 10 days not to wonder why.
    She is a nurse and overly protective of every one I totally for got about the Humidifier & our phone call.
    9 days later I had my daughter in the docs office because she was ill at the time and the doctor kept asking me if I was OK I said yes and he said well to put it frank you look like hell. I was shocked because I felt GREAT like always. when he was done with her he said may I listen to your lungs and heart. I said sure and he did with a real worried look. But said everything seemed fine ON the way out he stopped me again and said humor me have the nurse take your blood pressure & temp They were fine so I went home.
    The next day all the Kids went to school I felt fine I meet my mom & Dad in town we got coffee and went to get flu shots in a mobile van that does them every year in our town. as we were standing in line I droped my coffee I thought nothing of it and mom gave me hers about 5 min later I dropped it. I felt fine maybe a little tired.
    after we got our shots they asked if I would go home with them I said no I was tired at that point & I would go home they got into their car and went home.
    THIS PART IS ABOUT HOW FAST I GOT ILL.
    I watched them leave and started walking to my car each step getting worse/slower/harder than the other
    As I reached my car I could barely open the door, I looked across the parking lot and tried to call some one and I had no voice, that scared me.
    I only lived 5 miles away so decided to drive home.
    When I got there I could barely get out of the car and walk 20 feet it took a long time to get into the house the phone was by the door, I knew I had to reach it,
    I picked it up amd called my mom who lives 30 min away she answered I tried to talk and could say nothing. I could hardly breath or even move.
    I heard her yell my name and scream at dad then nothing.
    When they got me to the hospital I was almost dead. Thank goodness My friend the nurse who lives 45 min away heard about it on the scanner.
    she came and told the doctors what happened 10 days ago. they tested me for many things and Legionares disease came back positive.
    I was in the hospital for a long time. I scared my family, I watched My children Cry and I could not reach out to them or answer them.
    SO PLEASE BYC FRIENDS be careful with Mold, humidifiers and de-humidifiers
    If my mom had not realized that was me on the phone with out caller ID or anything I would not be here, Later when I was better I asked her how she knew it was me and she said she just knew even though they have 5 kids and I was fine when they left me she said knew I was dying.
    AFTER 10 years thinking about the anguish I heard in her voice still makes me cry.
    If my friend had not come running to tell them what types of things to look for I would be dead.
    I was also lucky that the doctor in the emergency room was my family doctor who had seen me the day befor and said I looked like h*ll but didn't know why.
    I can't imagine if my kids had come home and found me.
    Please remember that some things can knock you on your butt befor you have a chance to react.
    Dealing with Mold could be one of them. ALL that just because I was not being careful and I knew better.

TAKE CARE - YOUR BYC FRIEND - Melanie

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  2. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Thank You so much for the warning! This is one of those things that you never think of happening. I'm so glad the circumstances lead to the cause of your illness and, hopefully, you're fully recovered.

3. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    Thank You - I never recovered fully but I do OK.

I know this is not the standard Post but if just one person thinks twice about using an old machine
    I will be happy.

4. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    And to add a twist to it... there is a HUGE potential that your illness was very exacerbated by the flu shot. You probably would have gotten ill, but probably not nearly as bad. I am a nurse and I never ever get the flu shot, nor do I let my children. There are thousands of strains of flu and the shot only protects against a few. And more often than not, you will become ill after you recieve it.

I am very happy that you are doing as well as you are. What an amazing testimony!!

5. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    Yes, I never did get the flu shot again. its been 10 years.
    I was getting sick in line Thats why I droped the coffee twice I had lost strength in both my hands,
    and was on the verge of getting tired but that was all, less than a hour after getting the flu shot I was down for the count.
    My doc said it was just a fluke that I happened to get the shot and it had nothing to do with my illness.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  6. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

So sorry to hear this story and that you haven't really fully recovered [​IMG] , but thank you for saving others from a similar fate. This is something that I have never thought of and - who knows - I would have turned on an old humidifier without a second thought. I've already passed this info on to friends and family.

7. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    WOW Melenie! I knew it was bad, but didn't know that it could do that. I figured allergies, but not that!

Thank you for passing it along. I use my same humidifier every year, just change the filter.

8. crazy4chicsinBC

crazy4chicsinBC Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2007
    Abbotsford, B.C.
    I just unplugged and took out to the shed a humidifyer that was in this house when we bought it a few months ago. Its going out in the garbage and I'll buy a new one. Thank-You for sharing your story.

9. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    so sorry about that, and thanks, I'm allergic to mold, and got very sick two years ago from raking old wet leaves that gave me a lung fungus from the mold.....I haven't been the same since. Air conditioners at hotels are also a bad source of infectious mold. Im glad you're ok

10. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Legionnaires' disease is cause by a bacteria, not a mold. There are several molds and mildews that are very dangerous, but if you were diagnosed with Legionnaires it was a bacteria in the water that made you sick.

The name "Legionnaires' disease" was coined in 1976 after a respiratory disease affected many delegates attending a convention in Philadelphia held by the American Legion of Pennsylvania. Eventually, the bacteria that was responsible for the disease was isolated and named as Legionella pneumophila.
    The transmission of Legionnaires' disease is not completely understood. The normal presence of Legionella in such environmental sites as water and soil is not automatically associated with an outbreak of the disease. It appears that the Legionella microbe, in order to produce the disease, must reach the lungs. Inhalation of small particles of contaminated water (aerosols) or soil seems to be the key. New evidence suggests that aspiration is another way that the Legionella microbes enter into the lungs to cause the disease. Aspiration means choking during drinking, ingesting or swallowing. This allows fluids and particles to mistakenly enter the lungs instead of going into the stomach.

Evidence of person-to-person transmission has not been found. Therefore, attention has focused on the spread of Legionella by building ventilation systems. Legionella can thrive in warm stagnant water. When the circulated air picks up droplets of contaminated water, the bacteria can be transported throughout a building. If the droplets are small enough, they can be inhaled, thus providing a way for the bacteria to enter the lung.

Still your warning about the cleanlyness of humidifiers is well taken. Hot tubs too folks! Maintain them well!

I take towels out of the washer and hang them to dry instead of using the dryer in the winter to help with humidity. Put them in the dryer for a few minutes afterward to fluff them up. I got grossed out by the guck I found in the humidifiers, wondering what it would culture out to be.....​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by