1. taylormaderesale

taylormaderesale New Egg

Jul 7, 2011
    New coop/run. Coop is 4 ft off ground, large run area is dirt, noticed mold in several small patches, this morning. Area is moist all day. Recommend ground cover to prevent mols, suggest treatment to prevent. No water or food in area at all. Thanks for your assistance.[​IMG]

2. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    Are you sure its not cob webs? Pics please.

3. taylormaderesale

taylormaderesale New Egg

Jul 7, 2011
    Looks like mold, touched it. Soory have pic, but not sure how to put on here.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  4. taylormaderesale

taylormaderesale New Egg

Jul 7, 2011
    Pic maybe here.

5. VelvettFog

VelvettFog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    Would putting sand under the coop help? Mold to me means a drainage issue.

6. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Is the run in a low spot of the yard? or at the base of a downhill grade? How about a ditch on the uphill side to guide the runoff away? Also if you get a lot of rain, how about a tarp pitched over the coop and run like a rainfly on a tent? Worst case, set all weather wood 2x6s on edge around the inside perimeter of the run and dump in 3-4 inches of pea gravel and raise the grade plus you can wash the run poo down into the ground.

7. Jencleg

Jencleg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    I have the same problem. I have a 4x6 dog kennel that we are moving like a tractor because after a few days in the same spot, the grass & moss is COVERED in mold! We walked by the last spot it was in & we had about a 3x3 plot of mold. [​IMG] Fuzzy white & gray mold....would it be the food? poo? water? It is really strange!

8. Timbertoes

Timbertoes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    I am having the same problem. The run is sand, drains well. It's so humid here molds & mushrooms are popping up all over [​IMG]
    Can't post pictures yet. Is there something that I can use to amend the sand to help dry it out?

9. Rustywreck

Rustywreck Chillin' With My Peeps

If you have sand on top of compacted soil, the sand can hold moisture and mold can grow. If there is a way you can aerate the soil doing so will help water flow through the sand and into the soil.
    Make sure sunlight can reach the area - molds don't like sunlight.
    Spraying bleach will kill the mold for the time being. Of course it will kill vegetation as well.
    As someone mentioned, the humidity levels (at least here) are prime for mold growth.
    I hate mold. My nose is particularily good at smelling the stufff, and I don't like the smell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by