Mold? on Hen's face

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MrGreenMachine, Feb 9, 2009.

1. MrGreenMachine

MrGreenMachine New Egg

Feb 9, 2009
    Seymour, TN
    Just noticed today by my wife. This hen has what appears to be mold on her face. Behavior seems normal, she's eating and drinking, wandering around with everyone else. They are free range all day, only cooped up at night. I couldnt get a look at her up close tonight. I'll look better tomorrow but any thoughts on what I'm looking at?
    [​IMG]

2. IN-farmgirl

IN-farmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    Do you think it might be just the natural coloration? Or possibly just dirt? I've never heard of mold on a chicken. Does it wipe off? Why do you think it is mold?

3. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    That's her ear lobe.

4. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    That is where her ear is. Does the other side look about the same? There should be feathers there that cover the area to protect her ear.

Keep us posted!

5. MrGreenMachine

MrGreenMachine New Egg

Feb 9, 2009
    Seymour, TN
    Not her natural color I dont think as it just appeared in the last couple of days. Nothing on the opposite side like it. It looks a little better today. I'm about to go and try and get her off the roost to see if she'll let me brush at it to see if it will wipe away. I'll take another picture as well.

6. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Try searching the forum for ear infection , there are some posts and pics that may help.

7. MrGreenMachine

MrGreenMachine New Egg

Feb 9, 2009
    Seymour, TN
    It's not mold. It's swollen in that area and missing feathers. My wife thought mold based on the color initially. I'm kind of color blind myself. She doesn't seem in distress so I guess I'll get some topical and put it on her. Here's a close up pic of the affected area and the opposite side for comparison.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Nifty thanks for the link search.. I beleive it's an infection as I found another poster in early January same thing. Guess I'll try to get her to the vet.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    ouchies! wonder what it is?? [​IMG]

9. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Her upper neck is swollen too. I would give her a general antibiotic and inspect her ear.

I've never seen anything quite like it. Normally IMO chickens faces swell or their crops distend.

If she was a human I'd say ear infection and tonsillitis.

Of please treat her for mites with frontline spray-chickens that aren't feeling the best get mites easily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by