Mold poisoning in chicks?

Jul 1, 2019
New Mexico
Hi!

I have nine two-day-old chicks from McMurray Hatchery. One just passed away, and I don't know why... I am aware that sometimes chicks are just weak and there's nothing you can do, but this one had perked up after drinking sugar water, and we were so shocked and sad to find her dead.

The bag of feed from which we are feeding them had gotten a bit wet in the rain (it was unopened) and there were a few clumps that I was careful to avoid feeding the chicks. Could it have been mold poisoning, or something else? One chick has fluid coming from her beak... I don't know what's happening! Please help!

Thanks!

Chicks can suffer from shipping stress, getting cold, hot, dehydrated, being jostled around. But I would get some new feed right away, and not use the old feed. It may not have been that, but it doesn’t take long for feed to mild even with a few drops of water getting into the container. Usually it will turn blue green. Very sorry for your loss.

I ground up some All-Flock feed for the chicks to eat until I can get more chick feed... can I wait until tomorrow?

Another thing I noticed is that there are a lot of mosquitoes buzzing around the brooder... is that an issue?

Back
Top Bottom