95yj

Songster
10 Years
Nov 25, 2009
702
9
131
Central Vermont
does anybody know if either inhalation or ingestion of mold can cause neurological problems? yesterday one of my coturnix hens was moving her head back and forth like she couldn't stop, i held her head and her neck was still straining, she had also lost most of the use in her legs, she died a few hours later, i had/have a bit of a mold issue in their pen but i thought i had taken care of it, the rest are in a seperate pen all doing fine.
 

95yj

Songster
10 Years
Nov 25, 2009
702
9
131
Central Vermont
I washed the interior with bleach/water and then let it sit for a while, which i'm pretty sure isn't the issue because i sanitize my bird stuff with bleach/water all the time. the problem with the mold is that its growing in between the joints in the wood and where the plywood is attached to the studs, and its open faced, so its hard to keep it dry, its been very humid around here lately. I think its mold, i know that it can cause huge problems with birds, i'm just not possitive.
 

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
23,381
100
351
Adair Co., KY
I'm sure it's possible. You need to get a spray can of KILZ paint to get rid of the mold, then paint or varnish over that to keep the wood from drawing moisture.
 

WinterRoseFarm

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 10, 2012
10
0
22
I bought Tek-trol spray which I use once a week on my wooden cage. I remove the birds, clean out the litter and then spray the cage with that disenfectant. I let it dry then put in new litter and return the birds. I wash the dishes in a bleach solution as well. However, I did notice in the grocery store that Lysol spray kills many of the same things..... so might try that.... any thoughts on lysol?

Best,
Nan
 

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom