1. Terrik

    Terrik Chillin' With My Peeps

    116
    0
    91
    Aug 13, 2011
    Dallas, OR
    About three months ago my husband built my girls a new coop. It is well built with sealed everything and a metal roof. The problem I am having it there is mold growing on the sides and top of the coop. There is not power out to the coop and it is not insulated. I live in Oregon which is wet but not cold enough to heat or insulate. My question: is there anything I can do to stop the growth of the mold without harming my girls? I was wondering if there is a paint or something that could be put on the wood. If there isn't is it safe to spray bleach water onto the mold to kill it? Thanks for your input!
     
  2. Bear Foot Farm

    Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

    5,545
    224
    288
    Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    There are "Marine" hull paints that inhibit growth, and a bleach solution will work too.
    There are also additives for house paints
     
  3. debid

    debid Overrun With Chickens

    5,709
    956
    316
    Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    More information is needed.

    And, contrary to popular belief, bleach does NOT kill mold on porous surfaces. It treats the surface so the mold won't be visible anymore but the mold will grow back from what you don't kill beneath.

    Is the mold on the outside or on the inside of the coop?

    If it's inside, you need to correct the inadequate ventilation issue causing the mold or all of the mold killing you do will be in vain. If it's outside, is your coop in full shade? Might need to move it to a sunnier location.

    Here is a useful site for mold eradication techniques: http://blackmold.awardspace.com/kill-remove-mold.html
     
  4. Terrik

    Terrik Chillin' With My Peeps

    116
    0
    91
    Aug 13, 2011
    Dallas, OR
    Thanks. The mold is inside of the coop. It has good ventilation and the coop is in the sun almost all day, except for the fact I live in Oregon, which rains A LOT, lol. It is pretty much wet here 10 months a year. I guess I will be bleaching the coop often and hoping for the best. [​IMG]
     
  5. debid

    debid Overrun With Chickens

    5,709
    956
    316
    Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    You probably have baking soda in the house and if you don't, it's CHEAP. Seriously, save the bleach for whitening clothes.
     
  6. The Lazy L

    The Lazy L Chillin' With My Peeps

    739
    64
    148
    Dec 16, 2011
    1868
    Spray the mold with household vinegar. That's what I use to kill the mold on the north side of my house roof.
     
  7. jamband

    jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

    579
    4
    123
    Apr 26, 2011
    mold inside means it needs better airflow.
     
  8. ChickensAreSweet

    ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

    I live across the river in Washington State. I am going through the same thing but my whole shed is metal.

    What I have decided to do (after mulling switching coops) is continue with my bleaching.

    I have a sprayer that I load up with bleach mixed with water. Then I spray the walls first, floor, then roof last as I back out of the shed. It kills the mold. Then I leave it open to air all day.

    Here is the thing...you can buy some kilz paint at home depot and paint the wood with it. Then when the mold comes back you can bleach. You might have to rinse it off though as I have not used it, after bleaching. The kilz paint is designed to fight mold I have read.

    I also (usually) run at least 100 watts in there but this winter didn't. So I have more of a problem than usual. I just today hung some light bulbs out there after bleaching a few days ago so I think it will be better for the coop again.
     
  9. jamband

    jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

    579
    4
    123
    Apr 26, 2011
    Borax is much less toxic than bleach and actually has a staying power to kill mold........Bleach does not kill mold, just cleans it.........the wet wood is the host and as long as you have wet wood you will have mold.
     
  10. debid

    debid Overrun With Chickens

    5,709
    956
    316
    Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Exactly -- borax, baking soda, vinegar... all are better options than bleach for a variety of reasons. I think it's hard for folks to get past the notion that bleached = sterile. Bleach does kills lots of stuff but it doesn't kill mold past the surface so if it's a porous material you're dealing with (like wood or grout), the mold will just grow right back from the "roots" and then you've done all that work and endured those fumes for nothing. You can leave a residue with borax or baking soda that will help keep the mold from growing back and without endangering the birds.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by