Moldy chicken feed

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Fannin11, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Fannin11

Fannin11 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2016
    We went out yesterday to feed and water the chickens and two of r chickens were dead, they wasn't acting sick or anything before so we had no idea what happened to them. Then we went out this morning and are rooster is acting funny and he's all puffed up. We went to feed them and got looking at the feed it it was molded. We throw it out and got new but what can I do for are rooster? My mother -in-law said that he was bloated , what can I do for the rest of my chickens , I don't want to loose anymore?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Throw it out! Lots of chickens have been done by moody feed. Not worth the risk!

3. Fannin11

Fannin11 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2016
    We did throw it away and got new, the hens are all acting fine I'm just worried about the rooster because he's not acting himself. I seen in another post someone said to do molasses mixed in their water to flush them out.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You may want to post at "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread, in detail to ask what can be done for your roo.

6. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello and welcome to Backyard chickens. Sorry to hear about the rooster. I would flush him with molasses like you said and maybe some epsom salts as a detox. Good luck.

7. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

I've never dealt with moldy feed; definitely post in the ER forum as drumstick diva suggested.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by