Moldy coop

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by NBPdaisy, Feb 26, 2016.

1. NBPdaisy

NBPdaisy New Egg

Feb 23, 2016
    Vancouver island
    Hi! I'm very new to chicken keeping. We found a really old chicken coop after we bought our property. It hasn't been used well over 10 years but still structurally sound. Needs a bit of tlc. While cleaning out the straw, I noticed a strong musty/moldy smell. It was really dusty too.
    Please advise what I should do to thoroughly clean it out before it's safe to put chickens in there.
    Also, should I use straw or pine shavings for nests and floors.
    Thank you.

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    Welcome to BYC I would douse the whole thing in vinegar, and scrub it good, and try to figure out how to add more ventilation, and if possible add a window or two that can be opened, the vinegar will kill the mold, ventilation will get rid of the moisture which is helping the mold to grow, and the windows will let more light in which will kill any mold trying to grow back. To make cleaning easier in the future you can also put linoleum on the floor, for the nests and floor pine shavings work the best for deep bedding method or just in general plus they absorb ammonia smells, straw/ hay works good but can sometimes harbor bugs, and they won't always be ones that the chickens like, but if you plan on composting the straw/hay breaks down way faster.

1 person likes this.
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Maybe if you could post some close ups inside the coop, we could offer more suggestions. I'm sure other posters know of stronger products to use. I know mold will grow back even after using straight bleach.

1 person likes this.
  5. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    1 person likes this.
  6. NBPdaisy

NBPdaisy New Egg

Feb 23, 2016
    Vancouver island
    Hi! So excited! Our silkie laid her first 2 eggs this morning! Is that normal for a first timer to lay 2? Also, can they be eaten? I've heard it's best not to eat the first eggs but have forgotten the reason for it.
    Is there any info to learn how to post pics?
    Thank you much!

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by