Moldy Egg Question??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newchickens2009, Aug 20, 2011.

1. newchickens2009

newchickens2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    I have a customer that buys eggs from me weekly, today she told me that 1 of her eggs was covered in mold when she took it from the fridge to cook it. Any one know of a reason why this happened or what could have caused this? I always wash my eggs with warm water, allow to dry over night in a 78 degrees ac room and place in egg cartons and into the fridge in the morning. I have been doing it like this for over a year with no problems or complaints before just great compliments on great taste! Any info greatly appreciated!

2. zippitydooda

zippitydooda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Ottawa, Ohio
    Could she have spilled something on the egg while getting others out? How long did she have them? Did she keep them in the refrigerator? I don't think I've ever seen mold on my washed eggs. You said you allow them to dry before putting them in the carton. Was it a new carton or a used carton? Hmmmmmmmmm [​IMG]

3. lindseythefork

lindseythefork Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Humboldt County, CA
    There is no way an egg, in and of itself, can get moldy. Something spilled on the egg, there was something not right with the carton, etc.

4. newchickens2009

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    Quote:I deliver to her which is only 2 mins away. She doesn't have them for long as she gets a doz every week. She puts them in the fridge right away and leaves them in the carton until they are all gone so there is no way to spill something on them.
    It must have been something in the carton as I do reuse them sometimes??
    Tks for the reply [​IMG]
    God bless and have a great day!

5. newchickens2009

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    Quote:There must have been something wrong in the carton? Hopefully this will never happen again I don't want to give my customers wrong impressions of backyard eggs, we all know on here that they are the BEST!!
    Tks for your reply.
    God bless! [​IMG]

6. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Maybe she has a nasty fridge [​IMG] I wouldn't eat anythign she cooks for you [​IMG] j/k, weird occurance, never heard of anything like that before

7. newchickens2009

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    [​IMG] [​IMG] I love it when we can get a good joke from a bad situation! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by