Moldy Eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Feedingfour, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Feedingfour

Feedingfour Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2013
    Pa
    Help! I'm making devils eggs and most of my eggs seem to have mold growing inside if them! I have some that have been in the fridge a few weeks and some I collected yesterday and they all seem to have a little mold on them. I always collect them daily and they either get eaten right away or put straight in the fridge. What could be the issue?? Is it mold? TIA

2. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have a picture? That seems rather odd, most eggs in the refrigerator dehydrate before they spoil.

1 person likes this.
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Are you talking about a greenish tinge to the outside of the yolks after hard boiling them?

That, I believe, is from overcooking, won't hurt you.

1 person likes this.
  4. Feedingfour

May 16, 2013
    Pa
    [​IMG]

Can you see the little black spots on the egg? My phone wouldn't focus much better than this..

5. SD Bird Lady

Hmmm... that is odd. Are you washing your eggs before you store them? It may be from bacteria/dirt being forced into the pores from washing them?? If you crack a raw one are there any blemishes in the white (clear) part?

1 person likes this.
  6. That is strange. Never seen one like your photo before. If you are washing your eggs before storing them you are removing the protection the hen put on the eggs, and you are allowing bacteria to enter the egg through the shell. I understand in Europe it is illegal for them to wash the eggs. I just read an article the other day about it.

1 person likes this.
  7. newbie32

newbie32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2013
    Low Desert, CA
    yep this is true[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Feedingfour

May 16, 2013
    Pa
    No I don't wash them before storing. However I believe we figured out the issue. We have extremely hard well water. We boiled both "old" and new eggs and all the eggs had the spots. We used distilled bottled water with both "old" and new eggs and no spots. We're assuming its something in the water.

9. SD Bird Lady

Glad the mystery is solved!

1 person likes this.
  10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ahhhhh...interesting...I love a good experiment!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by