Moldy Feed?? *Update*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by theron, Mar 31, 2011.

1. theron

theron Theron's Fowl Farm

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    I just got a new bag of purina start & grow chick starter today and when I opened it, it looks like it is moldy. We have some food from the last bag and the feed from both bags looks different. The one that I think is moldy has greenish colored pieces of food and it smells bad compared to the feed from the last bag. So is it moldy? Thankfully, I haven't fed any to my birds yet. I am going to wait and see what you guys think before I use it.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I think that needs to go back to the store, if it looks strange and smells strange and you can compare the 2 then Don't feed to your birds.. I have never gotten mouldy food but bought feed one day 50lbs. and put it into my car and went to the grocery store came out and my whole car was full of bugs, so that bag of feed went straight back to the feed store.

3. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    I wouldnt risk it but I've HAD to feed chicks moldy feed before. We where snow bound and I had no other food for them.... Anyway they where fine.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I enjoyed your website theron.. [​IMG]

5. theron

theron Theron's Fowl Farm

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    Here is an update: I had my mom sniff both feeds and she could tell the difference. Also, when I looked in the bag of food, there was huge chunks of food. So, the moldy food is going back to the feed store tomorrow. Thank goodness I caught it before we started using it! [​IMG]

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Wet, moldy, webby, or especially bug ridden it all needs to go back to the feed store.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by