Moldy feed???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by farmerinKC, Jun 12, 2011.

1. farmerinKC

farmerinKC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    I have 3/4 of a fifty pound bag of Dumor grower/finisher and today it looks moldy. How can that be? We have kept it stored in our house and clothes-pinned the top shut after getting out what we need to feed the chickens daily. We have had it nine weeks-I am off to buy new feed right now. I removed from the coop what I gave them this morning. Has this happened to anyone else? Doesn't seem right. [​IMG]

2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Have you had a lot of rain? Humidity is bad for feed...I keep mine in a plastic garbage can and it's generally used up within 2 weeks.Metal cans tend to "sweat" so I would recommend getting a plastic garbage can and trying to buy only enough for 4 weeks at a time.

3. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    I also put some DE in the bottom of the storage container and mix it into the feed. I haven't had a mold problem since I started doing that. It also helps with worm prevention (I'm told).

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Where in the house did you store it?

I had a bag of dog feed go bad in the bottom and it was only later when I went into the basement after a heavy rain that I realized we had a wall leaking and the bag had been standing next to the leak and where I could see a puddle forming. It spoiled from the bottom up because it had gotten wet on the bottom.

It really is worth it to get a storage container for the feed. I'm using a Vittles Vault and LOVE it.

5. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

We were planning to get a metal can to put feed in. I'm afraid critters might chew through the plastic. I'll have to use the DE trick I guess.

6. farmerinKC

farmerinKC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Thanks for all the replies. I had the feed in our dining room-because the screened-in porch is right off the dining room and that is where we keep all the rest of the chicken supplies. So I know it did not get wet. The reason I had so much left after nine weeks is that when we first got our chicks we bought this bag of grower/finisher, after a few days we realized we had picked up the wrong bag-we intended to buy the starter feed. Went back to buy the starter which they have been on for eight weeks. I hope they do not get sick from the feed that I fed to them before I realized it had turned moldy. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by