Moldy food

hayley-gail

Hatching
Apr 17, 2017
San Marcos, TX
This is the second time I've posted about mold. We've been through some recent flooding here in central Texas. I have 4 chicks about 6-8 weeks old, and their bag of medicated starter feed sits in a thick plastic bucket in the garage. Our garage got a couple of feet of water in it about a week and a half ago, I checked the bag of feed, it seemed good and dry. Yesterday I finally got down to the bottom of the bag, and there were big chunks of moldy feed. It appears that water got through the plastic and the bottom of the bag, and it clumped together and grew mold just in the bottom. It's that dry blue/green mold (like the kind that grows on old bread). Now I'm worried I've been giving them moldy feed! Is there anything I should look out for? I'd feel terrible if my babies got sick because of this. I love this area, but dammit we're either constantly in a drought or a flood, and no in between. I'd give anything for just a normal good rainy season lol.

*i have since bought a new bag and will now store it high to prevent this from happening again*

This has happened to me. I keep my feed in metal trash cans, but I think a bit of water leaks through the lid around the handle. Anway, I have gotten to the bottom of a bag and found the same thing, but there were no ill effects as I only fed them up until I reached the clumps and mold. Since then I make sure to roll the bags up tight so no water can drip down into them. I think you will be fine.

I found mold in the bottom of my my bag also, but it was in it when I got it.I called the store and they sent me my money back. I have been feeding the it bit watching it. I keep my food in the house, my babies are only 2 weeks old and wow I can't believe how fast they are growing. I had chickens before and they were not as messy or grew as fast as these ducks. They are just starting to get pin feathers on there tails. I'm having a blast with theme.

I also have had this happen. Fed them till I found mold near the bottom and threw it out. but chicks were fine. Some bags come with the manufacture date and try to get one with manufacture date less than 4 weeks. Could help from running into the prob too much I Keep mine in a metal bin inside the shed and it seems to keep better that way

Back
Top Bottom