Moldy ground

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by crcarter, Sep 3, 2013.

1. crcarter

crcarter New Egg

Mar 23, 2013
    Buck's County, Eastern PA
    We've had so much rain recently that the ground around our chickens pen/run has become very soggy and muddy. We've been moving them around from spot to spot to keep them on fresh grassy dryer ground. In the areas where their pen has been there are chicken droppings and spilled food. With all the moisture in the ground these areas are actually getting moldy! I'm afraid that the chickens will range in these areas when they are out. Is there anything safe to do that will kill the moldiness but not harm the chickens?

I'm hoping the sun will come out eventually and dry the area up - but what to do in the meantime!?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  2. naightengale

naightengale Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2013
    Rocky Mount VA.
    My Coop
    good question im haveing this problem too. mold and alge growing on everything. weve had right at 50 inches of rain this year..

3. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    I had a similar problem until I dug out 4 inches of soil from the run and brought in 4 inches of sand. Everything drains well, and I rarely have any mud. The only exception is around the waterer that the ducks use, so every two weeks I have to scrape out the matted down mess they create to get back to sand only. Adding sand was the best upgrade I have made to the coop. It is easy to rake out, and keeps everything much drier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by